Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

Having a dog in the 21st Century

The other morning it dawned on me that as our society becomes more technology advanced it has also had an effect on our pets.

It used to be that when I reached for my keys and it made that iconic noise of keys clanging together, Bailey would come running.  He knew I was headed somewhere and was hoping I would take him with me.  Now, with having an electronic front door lock and a keyless car (the keys stay buried at the bottom of my purse), the clanging of keys has no impact on Lucy.  None at all.  She doesn't associate the sound of keys with anything other than just a noise.

And when I used to open a can of dog food with the electric can opener, Bailey would come running knowing food was on the way.  Now, all the cans of dog food have a flip top that doesn't require any kind of can opener.  Lucy in no way associates the can opener with her eating.

There are gadgets available now that allow you to be in another location and remotely give your dog a treat.  Many kinds of cameras are available to let you spy on your pet while you are gone.  It's pretty cool.

I find it fascinating how even the times have changed for our pets too.


1 comment: