Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Bucket list item!

A few months ago I found an adult beginner tap class and decided to take it!  Growing up I never took any kind of dance instruction and I guess I have felt that void for many years.   I announced at dinner one night to my family that I was going to register for this tap class. They were all shocked and thought I was making a joke.  Nope, I am 100% serious.  

I sent an email to some friends seeing if they wanted to join me. To my delight, two friends replied back almost instantaneously saying this was on their bucket list too and for years now was thinking about taking a tap class.  Wow!  When I told Jeff that Kelly and Susanne were going to join me, he couldn't believe that there was more than just me wanting to do this crazy idea. 

The tap class was offered thru our local recreation center classes, partnered with a local dance studio.  It was 8 weeks long, an hour each lesson, and a very reasonable cost.  So when I write why I will not take this particular class at this particular dance studio again, I really don't have much room to complain.   The parking lot was dreadful.  Parking was limited and the spots were tight.  The class was held in the evenings, so it being dark made the parking situation that much more troublesome.  The hallway inside the dance studio where you waited for the classroom to be open, was tight.  Very tight. Two people couldn't pass each other.  And with all the classes letting out at the same time, and all the new people showing up for the next set of classes, it was ridiculous!  Lastly, this is the worst part of it; there was a smelly girl in our tap class.  Like really, really smelly.  Her body odor wafted through the whole room and left a pungent smell in the air.  Even standing a few feet away from her made it sickening to breathe.  I ended up putting some lavender oil on my wrists and smelling my wrists when I couldn't take it anymore.  It helped somewhat, but the smell never diminished or wasn't an issue.  I am sure it was a cultural thing, but oh man, it was the worst!  

Other than my list of issues, I did enjoy taking the class. I am going to try to find another adult dance class to take, but at a different studio.  And it still needs to be beginner.  I discovered after 8 weeks, I have little to no coordination and it will be a long time before I get beyond this level.  

No comments:

Post a Comment