Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Let them eat cake!

I am not sure if there is a condition called "2nd Child Syndrome" or not, but if there is, I am well on my way of making Sam a permanent member. I feel like she is already getting the short end of the stick on the lack of playgroups, music, gym and swim classes I've yet to enter her in. Although to my defense, I did just sign her up in a My Gym class we go to while Ian is in school. She absolutely loves it and of course, that makes me feel bad for not getting her involved in this sooner.

When Ian turned 1, we (okay, I'll admit it, it was mostly all my doing. My husband tried hard to get me to scale back) got VERY carried away throwing him a party. We invited over 70 people (56 adults, 23 kids), hired a hot children's band to come play, and ended up renting tables and chairs for our backyard, so people had a place to sit. I can look back now and say that was mostly for my benefit as Ian had no idea what was going on and would've been happy just being with his parents eating cake for the first time.

Having learned my lesson, the party this Saturday for Samantha's first birthday is most definitely on the small side. The invite list totaled 15 (almost all relatives) and will not include a band. There is one thing I can do however that I did for Ian and want to go that extra mile for Samantha.

Right now I am in the process of baking a cake in the letters of the name of my sweet little girl. I did the same thing for Ian and made him 3 cakes - an "I" and "A" and an "N". I baked the cakes and took them to a local bakery for them to frost. It turned out really cool and the pictures are pretty awesome for Ian to look back on and see the fuss that was made for his first birthday. How can I not do the same for my 2nd child? The part that sucks is, Ian has only 3 letters in his name and Samantha has 8! Oh my. So yes, I am currently baking 8 separate cakes. I am getting it all done tonight so that I can drop it off tomorrow at the bakery for them to frost and decorate. I do know my limits! However, hindsight is 20/20 and if I realized I was going to get this hair brained cake idea, I would've named her "Lia".

Family from out of town has been invading our house this week and more is to come in the next couple of days. It is fabulous having them here and makes me really wish we lived closer year-round. An extra set of hands (or two) is a good thing. I really don't mind doing all the party preparations when I know my two little ones are having so much fun hanging with Mom-mom and Pop-Pop Jim.

Slowly but surely, I feel like I am getting my life back. The events job sent an email today asking if I could work some events coming up in the next couple of weeks. I told them I had too much going on and needed to take a break for the next month or so. Score one for me! And soon, my tv watching will be taking a hiatus too. With the season finale for 'American Idol', 'Biggest Loser', 'Celebrity Apprentice', "Desparate Housewives", and series finale for 'Prison Break' recently airing, I can now spend more time on reading and finishing the books in a timely manner. This should make the library very happy. And, I might even have time for a conversation with my husband.

The sun has been shining and so have I.

1 comment:

  1. You want to start conversations with your husband? Better give him lots of warning. You know how he feels about sudden change. :-)

    ReplyDelete