Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Ian is back from camp! (Part 2)

Ian writes about his time at sleepaway camp.  These are Ian's direct words:

Day Four:  I lost my hat and one of my water bottles.  Other than that it was a pretty good day. It was our first day for free swim in the lake where we had to have buddies and I was fine with that.  One of the 5 Eli's (not the Eli with digital photography) was my buddy.  Also today was Friday, which meant we would have a special service at night before dinner.  It featured the Miriam dance, an Israeli dance that is for celebrations.  For dinner on Shabbat, there is chicken noodle soup, vanilla chicken (It was surprisingly very good!), and some challah.  We made our own challah the first shabbat.  I learned quickly that the Shabbat brownies were absolutely delicious.

They let us stay up extra late -- only 15 minutes.  We played Mafia again and then finally went to bed. 

The next day we could do whatever we wanted.  It was free time for the whole day.  There was no cleaning up the cabin.  Instead of waking us up at 7:10am, they woke us up at 8:10am, so we could be ready for services.  In the middle of services we had breakfast.  Shabbat breakfast was danish, fruit salad, hard boiled eggs.  After breakfast was the Torah service.  In the middle, my edah (age group) left so we could do our own activity.  After that the whole day was free choice.  For the first hour I went to the lake.  After that I played Ga-ga and then it was time for lunch.  Lunch was cold cut meats and bread.  I was not a big fan of the cold cuts. 

After lunch I went back to the lake.  Then I played card games with Myon (one of the girl's counselors).  We played Apples to Apples.  After, I went down to the basketball court and played basketball with some people I knew and some people I didn't know.  Then it was time for dinner.  We had chili.  It was very bad.  That was the end of Shabbat.

The next day I found my water bottle.  Then I lost my other water bottle.  I still hadn't found my hat.  It was a normal day besides that.  And so was the next couple of days until Thursday.  That's when we had a special day where we had no activities and did something called Yom Galaxy.  This is where the counselors dressed us up in tin foil and pretended those were armored suits to fight the aliens (counselors).  They said to defeat them we needed to make them laugh and then capture them while chasing them.  I made the counselors laugh by doing the hokey pokey and tripped over my water bottle on purpose but made it look realistic.  I also captured Nir, one of our counselors.  That was a very fun day!  I also found my hat.

The next Shabbat was exactly like the last Shabbat, except instead of chicken noodle soup it was matzo ball soup.  I had a lot of fun.  After that it was day 10 and I was going home soon.  Instead of me packing, the counselors packed for us. But they put 2 days of clothes in a trash bag for us that we would live out of for the next 2 days.  I survived.  Finally Tuesday came.  I was ready to go home.  I ate breakfast early and was off to the airport at about 9:00am.  My luggage was under the weight restriction at the airport for 50 pounds.  I got on the plane and went home.  I met dad at the gate. 

I had a very good time at camp. I made a couple of friends.  I am thinking about going back next year.  Now I am done.  Good-bye.


This is from Me (Robyn):

Pictures posted of Ian on the camp website were far and few between.  Here they are:




These last few days Ian has been randomly saying, "If I was at camp right now, I'd be...." and filling in the blank on what he'd be doing.  I think he really had a great time.  I also asked him if he had gotten homesick at any point.  Ian said once on the 2nd day.  It happened at 9:00pm as he was trying to fall asleep.  Ian said it lasted about 10 minutes. 

I love that Ian was able to experience this.  He exceeded his expectations and mine on being away longer than a week and still having a great time.  I am proud of him for wanting to give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment