Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Israel, Part 1


For 11 days (6/30 to 7/10), I was in Israel.  It was my first time visiting and I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.  Everyone I told who had been before was incredibly excited for me and assured me I would love it.  Some even went as far as to say, a trip to Israel will change you.  They were right. 

There were many times during my trip that I thought to myself, "I must be dreaming...if so, please don't wake me up".   I am still in awe that the trip even happened.  My days were jam packed with all of these exciting adventures, seeing history come to life, and being among so many Jewish people.  I think that is the most incredible thing.  Having grown up in areas with such a small concentration of Jews, I didn't realize what I had been missing. It's a very special thing to know that everywhere you look is 'your kind'.   I am pretty sure that is why I wanted Ian to go to a Jewish sleepaway camp.  To know what it is like to have people with the same religion fill up the area you are in. I don't want him to feel different or have to explain what "Hanukkah" is or why he doesn't celebrate Christmas and Easter.  Visiting Israel you get this and so much more .

The emotions I felt during my time away ran the gamut from sadness, gratefulness, anxiousness and exhaustion, to happiness.  Each emotion was intense and felt so deeply within.  And so easily I could go from being sad to happy with tears flowing for each within minutes of each other. 

I completely understand why so many people find it necessary to move to Israel after visiting.  Every time Dawn and I spoke to the locals, we were pleasantly surprised to hear their stories.  99% of those we chatted with had been living in the United States (where they were born and raised), took a trip on Birthright and decided to move to Israel.  I see the attraction and can imagine raising my children in this environment.  There is something magical about being there.  Seeing the young children running through the streets of Jerusalem, laughing and playing, without parents nearby.  Having a day (Shabbat) where the entire city shuts down and EVERYONE rests.  Being among so much beauty very steep in history, knowing that the Jewish people fought very hard for their freedom.  And they not only survived, but are thriving. 

I will try hard over the next several days to encapsulate my adventures through my stories and photos.  I have to give a warning and say nothing I document will come even close to being there in person.  Experiencing it first hand is a must.  I am coming back more spiritual and in a sense, more Jewishly.  I do want to celebrate Shabbat at home (light candles, make a challah), bring the family together.  And I do want to do more with my community, to give back and make a connection. More than anything I want Israel to know its not alone and I stand strong supporting them.  What the country has accomplished in the last 66 years (since it was founded in 1948) is nothing short of miraculous. 

I feel so blessed to have been picked by JWRP (Jewish Women's Renaissance Project) and given this opportunity to travel to Israel.  The 18 women from the D.C. area group were incredibly special.  I only knew my friend Dawn beforehand.  Now I feel like they are all my sisters.  About half of the group had been to Israel multiple times and about half had never been before.  What we experienced together (200 women total from all over the country) had us make connections to Isreal on multiple levels.  Whether it was meeting with the IDF (Israeli Defense Force) or seeing the work the Jewish Federation of D.C. does, or having a traditional Shabbat meal in a young family's home, or meeting with a fellow Jewish mom who lives in Israel and is raising her 5 children, we felt that connection.  It wasn't just a bunch of tourist sites, but more about having these one-on-one interactions and getting a glimpse of their lives.  Yes, we also did the tourist hot spots, and had these engaging lectures/classes from one of the founding JWRP women, Lori.  Our days started at the crack of dawn and didn't end until we were barely standing upright ready to collapse.  It's a good thing I had been eating my Wheaties.  :)  

And its a very good thing I brought along a journal to write in each day; to remember what I did, what I saw, and how I felt.  Because after a while my days started to blur together.  I felt like I was a million miles from home.  I didn't want to forget a single second of our trip.  Going to Israel for the first time only happens once.  But I know once the kids get a bit older, I will be back with the family.  I already have the whole trip planned out in my head.  Of course, I do.

Stay tuned for Israel, Part 2..."Am I really here?!?!?  Is this really Happening?!?!  I must take pictures of EVERYTHING!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment