Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Halloween: heartbreak no more.

Last year's Halloween was draped in disappointment for me.  Neither child wanted to dress up or go trick-or-treating. They were content staying at home and handing out candy.  This year both kids let me know way in advance we were repeating the same thing again; no dressing up and no trick or treating.  Ugh.  I'm still not happy about it, but I've gotten used to it. No matter how many times I've asked them through the month of October if they've changed their minds, they told me time and time again "Nope, it's not going to happen."

4:00pm on Friday, October 31st, Ian asks me the following, "If I were to dress up, what could I go as?"  WHAT!!!?!?!?!  Are you serious?  I'm planner, an OVER-PLANNER if there is such a thing.  You can't pull this on me this late in the game!  Apparently Ian was changing his mind.  And because Ian was changing his mind, Sam was changing her mind too.  She will do whatever her big brother does.

With only a few hours to go, we went to the CVS across the street to see what Halloween costumes we could put together.  Believe it or not, we found a witch costume for Sam and a skeleton costume for Ian.  And get this, because we were buying the costumes in the 11th hour, we got it for 50% off.  Bonus! 

I took the kids trick or treating from 6:30pm to 8:00pm.  We went around our neighborhood and kept it low key going from house to house on our own.  They were enjoying it very much.  Ian started talking about next year's trick or treating and which friends he'd want to go with. 

I believe we've brought Halloween back to the Toppall house.  Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment