Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Summer Adventures 2015....My happy place!


I am still smiling from this past week.  It was the coming together of the three families (plus lots of relatives visiting throughout) at Ocean City, NJ. This was our 2nd year returning to the beach and I felt like we really got in a groove this year.  We knew what to expect and especially knew all the favorites we wanted to do again when we returned one year later.  From renting a Surrey, to visiting Uncle Bill's Pancake Place twice, to going on the rides, playing putt-putt, and logging countless hours being on the beach, it was a fun-filled, sunny-filled week..  The weather was gorgeous.

The craziest thing was the forecast looked like Friday was going to be our day of stormy weather and we'd have to do something indoors.  We told the kids on Thursday afternoon, this was going to be our last day at the ocean.  Soak it all up now and enjoy it, the weather wasn't looking good for us to put on our bathing suits for Friday.  Even at 8:00am Friday morning, the forecast still reported thunderstorms.  We did miniature golf in the morning, stopped for lunch and checked the forecast again.  It was no longer going to storm.  It was going to be a very sunny hot day.  We put on suits and headed to the water.  It was a bonus beach day for us!  5+ hours later, we told the kids it was time to go in.  No one wanted to leave.  We had to pull the kids off the beach kicking and screaming.  That's how much these kids love the beach.  We had 7 full days at the beach and the kids wanted more.

This year my sister Lori, her husband and their 21 month old daughter joined us for the week.  In addition, my mom and stepfather was with us the whole time too.  Over the course of the week, we had visits from cousin's parents (both my cousin Leslie's mom and dad and her husband's mom and boyfriend), my brother-in-law's sister and her husband, and my cousin's sister-in-law with her 2 kids.  It was a revolving door of visitors!

I love the beach!  I love that we get a whole week to be there!  I love being with my extended family!  I love that the kids love the beach!  I love that Ian and Sam are perfectly matched with my cousin's, Max and Ellie. I love how much I walk when I am at the beach. I averaged 16k steps a day!  Yay me!

Unfortunately Jeff does not love the beach.  He doesn't even like it a little.  If we're being honest, he HATES the beach.  His feet didn't touch the sand once in 7 days.  His toes didn't get wet in the ocean once in 7 days.  He didn't even put on a bathing suit once in 7 days.  Jeff didn't take any vacation time and worked remotely the whole week from inside the beach house.  While I am a disappointed that this is the way Jeff prefers it, I have accepted it and moved on to enjoying his company at the end of the work day.  Jeff joins us for dinners out, boardwalk fun and of course, lots of trips to get ice cream.  It's a good compromise and I am thrilled that he even wants to come period. 

Our week wasn't without major turbulence!  In our beach house, we were packed in there like sardines.  It was a big snafu and I am largely (ok, 100%) to blame.  We booked a 3 bedroom, 2 bath place.  It would've been enough room for the group we had last year (mom/Jim, Ian/Sam, Me/Jeff) all having their own bedroom.  However, I went ahead and invited Lori/Ben/Rachel and never increased the size of the place.  Let me tell you, this wasn't ideal and since we were paying for it, it was a major insult to injury when Jeff and I ended up on the pull-out sofa in the living room.  But wait, it gets worse!  The pull-out sofa was a impossible to sleep on.  I am not sure how they can call that a bed.  It was worse than the bar you think will be in your back.  Much worse.  I don't think there was any cushioning in that "mattress" and I use the term "mattress" very loosely.   After the first hour on it on Saturday night, Jeff and I ditched the pull-out sofa and slept on the two couches.  His was the length of his body.  Mine was the size of a loveseat.  I had from the calves down hanging over the edge.  Good thing I am on the short side.  Ugh.  This wasn't my finest moment and I really felt for Jeff.   I know he was hating being there to begin with, but then we shelled out so much money for this place and didn't even have a bed to sleep on for 7 NIGHTS!    Needless to say, I wasn't on Jeff's favorite people list until we started the drive back home.

Other than that, it was great!  :)   But as I promised to Jeff NEVER AGAIN!!  We will not be put in that position next year or the year after or the year after that.  It was only with that pinky swear promise that Jeff has given his blessing we can go back next summer. 
















The 3 families.

No comments:

Post a Comment