Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Cruising with the Mazers


We've just come back from our 2nd cruise within 5 months.  In an embarrassment of riches, Jeff's parents took us on a cruise at the end of June and my dad & Stepmom took us on a cruise during Thanksgiving week.  Believe me, without both sets of parent's generosity, we wouldn't have been able to swing such fantastic vacations. 

We had a wonderful time and being with the family is what its all about.  I truly treasure every moment I got to spend with my dad, Rita, sisters, brother-in-law, niece and the latest new addition - my sister Meghan's boyfriend, Bradley.  We think this one is a keeper.   Meghan thinks so too!

There is something magical that happens when the Mazers come together.  I honestly don't think anyone else has this much fun. It probably helps that we all have the same sense of humor -- it's a little bit sick, a little bit dark and very funny.  And we have excellent memories. 

Some highlights from this cruise:

  • Every morning (anywhere from 7:00am to 7:30am), Ian, Dad and I went for breakfast.  The others would join us as they woke up on their own time, but without fail, the three of us had breakfast together. It was during one of these mornings that Ian said to me, "I think Papa is one of the most amazing men I've ever met."  Then he added, "No, make that he IS the most amazing man I know."   Ian said this with such awe in his voice.  I loved hearing from Ian that he realizes how special my dad is. 
  • The cruise officially kicked off with the Muster Station drill.  It is mandatory that you go to your assigned muster station and find out what to do in the event of an emergency.   Not seeing this as a mandatory requirement, there was much discussion on what each of us was going to do.  Jeff and Rita, without hesitation, said they were going (and did).  My dad, Ian and I were quick to say we planned to hide out and knew just how we were going to get away with it.  We'd go on the balcony and close the drape just halfway.  Then when they came and did a room check, they'd open the door and not see us on the balcony concealed by the part of the drape that was closed.  Brilliant!   When the announcement was made to report to the muster station, Sam said she was coming with me, but as we were walking on to the balcony, she said she was scared and ran to Jeff and Rita.  Meghan and Bradley were asleep in their cabin and the steward woke them up. They had planned to hide as well, but got busted and the steward waited for them to vacate their room.  As Dad, Ian and I were hiding, we looked behind us and one balcony over was Lori, Ben and Rachel - also hiding. 
Here is the selfie my dad, Ian and I took:

I LOVE this picture so much!!  My dad NEVER smiles in photos. 



It was at this point that I said to Ian, you've officially earned your Mazer stripes.  You're one of us now.

  •  Lunch at Senor Frogs in Nassau.  Even when we could all easily go our separate ways, we still wanted to be together.   The cruise itinerary got re-routed due to weather and we spent an extra day in Nassau.  It was decided to go to Senor Frogs for lunch.  Oh what fun!  The end of the meal came and they handed all of us shots; non-alcoholic for the kids and very strong filled alcoholic ones for the adults.  Most of the adults didn't want their shots and we gave ours to Rita.  She was a champ and drank them all.  Even in the afternoon, Senor Frogs is a festive, party-filled restaurant.   



  •  Getting to meet Meghan's latest boyfriend and liking him.  Meghan brought Bradley with her on this cruise. This is the first guy we all really like.  He is quick to add to the conversation, has a sense of humor and without hesitation or being asked, jumps in and is helpful.  This could very well be The One.  Meghan is still young, so we will see if this guy has staying power.  When we said good-bye at the end of the week, I told him how wonderful it was getting to know him and I was happy he came.  He replied, "I'll be back."  Yay!


  • My niece Rachel just turned two years old.   Hearing her vocabulary explode was quite impressive.  She is a chatterbox and it was fun watching her interact with all of us.  She loves Sam and Ian and couldn't get enough of them.  It is heartwarming seeing the cousins together.


"Keep Calm and Mazer On"   A few people asked us what a "Mazer" is.   Ian replied with, "It's an adjective and a verb".  Well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment