Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Sort of growing up.

Apparently its a thing for kids in middle school to meet at our local shopping center and just hang out.  I've heard about it from one of my mommy friends who have kids Ian's age.  Only her kids are a bit more popular than Ian and seemed to be moving at a faster speed in doing new things.

We recently had a teacher workday and the kids found themselves with a free day.  Ian gets a text the night before from one of his friends asking if he'd like to meet at this shopping center the next day.  Ian comes to me and asks if its ok?

Ian (totally nervous): So um, Brian texted me and would it be ok if I met Brian tomorrow at University Mall?

Me (not letting Ian know that I knew it was totally a thing for kids his age to hang at the mall):  What's the plan when you get there?

Ian:  What? 

Me: Yeah, when you get there, what will you do?

Ian: Um, you know, I'll have some money and my phone (saying this in a very nervous voice).

Me: Ok, fine with me.  Just let me know what time I should drop you off.

Ian comes back in my room 5 minutes later and says Brian just texted him and he is being forced to go ice skating with his younger sister and her friends so tomorrow is off.

Ha!  I had to laugh.  These kids are trying so hard to be independent and make plans.  But as quick as a snap of the fingers, their plans can change and they have to do what their mom wants.  This kid Brian sounds like a good kid. I haven't met him but I like him already.

Ian, Sam and I decided to go to Dave & Buster's during our day off.  As we are walking inside Ian tells me that if we see anyone we know, I shouldn't say hi.  He is torn between wanting to go to Dave & Busters and not wanting to be seen with his mom and sister. It's a tough age to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment