Pages

Monday, July 2, 2018

A year of growth

I am way behind on writing my blog.  No excuses or reasons why I haven't been writing, it just hasn't been happening.  I guess its good that I don't feel obligated or burdened to keep it going.  It is what it is.

However, I do love that this has become a diary of sorts for me. I enjoy documenting the small and big things that happen in our lives.  Because its all of these moments that make up our years.  I have experienced that as the years fly by (time really does go fast), most of the day-to-day becomes a blur.  When you leave one stage and enter another, your whole world becomes that stage at that very moment.  It's so easy to forget what came before.  My family and I love being able to look back and remember the craziness, the happiness, and how far we've come from the more challenging times.

In an attempt to catch up on the last several weeks, here goes:

Ian's Bar Mitzvah project had a phenomenal ending.  He wanted to participate in a walk and raise money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) in honor of his grandmother (my mother) who has Type 1 diabetes.  We formed a team and walked on June 3rd in Washington DC.  Through many generous donations, Ian raised $1,700 dollars!  One of the cooler things to have happened was when we somehow won a contest we didn't know we had even entered for raising the most money during a particular week.  The winner and the rest of their team gets to hold the American Flag during the National Anthem at the kick-off ceremony.  How cool is that?     




As you can see from the photos, it was raining, even pouring at times and we got soaked.  We didn't turn down our opportunity to hold the flag.  It was such a cool thing and really made our whole experience.

For 11 months prior to Ian's Bar Mitzvah, he participated in weekly tutoring sessions to prepare for the big day.  At 6 weeks out, Ian's sessions with his tutor became 2x a week. It's a lot of work.  The woman who was assigned to be Ian's tutor was wonderful with him. I took a picture of the two of them together on the first session Ian had and the last one, 11 months later.  Look at how much Ian grew in the year!

June 2017
May 2018


And that is my final thoughts having to do with Ian's Bar Mitzvah.   ;)   Stay tuned for more updates on many other things in the coming weeks.  



No comments:

Post a Comment