Pages

Friday, December 27, 2019

Tales from the crypt: Crazy man no more

I found out some sad news this past week.  The Crazy Man has passed away.  He died of heart failure due to pneumonia.  Towards the end, his mental state had decreased greatly and he was having problems coping.  He had been hospitalized for suicidal tendencies and was not able to get transferred out of the psych ward until he met certain goals.  And he kept failing to meet those goals.

About 6 months ago, it was determined he could no longer live on his own and would need 24/7 care.  I think it was losing this independence that was the final straw.  He always told me that once he could no longer live like a rock star, at the top of his game, he'd want to end his life and be done.

It's sad to see this is how The Crazy Man's story ends.  He went from being so full of life to no life at all.  He alienated almost everyone around him, including those who said they would stand by him and changed their mind when the going got really tough.  It was his neighbor in the end that helped him the most and got his affairs in order.

Over the past 2 years, I'd hear from The Crazy Man from time to time.  He'd ask me my advice on something or a question to where some paper, file, company, phone number, etc., was located.  I'd help him as best as I could, but I could tell his mind was going and it was harder for him to form coherent sentences.  He was a big fan of Ian's and would call just to ask what he was up to and if there was a performance he could come check out.  He never actually did see Ian act, but The Crazy Man was certain that Ian is headed for greatness.

Working for The Crazy Man was definitely one of the more interesting things to happen to me. I never failed to have a funny or outlandish story at the ready, whenever anyone asked me what he was up to.  I could entertain friends and family for hours with all his antics.  He lived life to the absolute fullest, never was one to take 'no' for answer, and always had a plan for how to find some loop hole or back way in to make his latest big idea a reality.  The Crazy Man was the true definition of what it meant to have chutzpah (definition: extreme self-confidence or audacity).

Rest in peace Crazy Man, and go easy on the Big Guy. I am sure he has got your number and knows all the tricks you are up to.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment