Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Get out the candles

On this day 37 years ago, life as I knew it changed forever.  I was no longer the 'baby'.  No longer an only child.  My mom and dad decided I was not enough and that another baby girl was needed to join our family.

And with that, Lori Ellen Mazer was born.  My world changed big-time.  I can't imagine not having a sibling to grow-up with.  Someone who totally gets me, understands everything we went through, and will stand by my side no matter what.  Lori is one of my biggest cheerleaders and has always managed to be there.

Thanksgiving 2002 - Bailey eyeing the snacks big-time!
One of my most favorite memories happened in 2002, when Lori was attending Grad school and living in Paris was part of the course requirements.   A few months prior to November, I had decided to host Thanksgiving dinner in my condo in Arlington.  The family was flying in from Florida, instead of me going down there.  In a strange twist of events, I had met Jeff at the end of October and just one month into our new relationship, he was going to now meet my family the day after Thanksgiving.  Around 10:00pm Wednesday night, I get a knock on my door.  It was my sister Lori standing at my doorstep!  She planned to surprise everyone and join us for Thanksgiving dinner.  Wow!  No one expected her to fly in from France.  She even took a cab from the airport rather than ruin the surprise and have me come get her.  Lori did not want to miss having the holiday with the family.  She not only got to experience me cooking a Thanksgiving dinner, but also got to meet Jeff, that visit.

Another stand-out memory was shortly after Ian's birth.  Jeff and I had to figure out who would get guardianship of the kid(s) should G-d forbid something happen to both of us. It was important to us that Ian, any future siblings, and whatever pets we had at the time remain as a unit and not be split up.  When we approached Lori with our intention of asking her if she is up to this great responsibility, without hesitation, she replied, "yes".  Lori even volunteered more info to say she would uproot her life and move to the Fairfax area so the kid(s) wouldn't have to change schools or leave their friends.  She then even added, she would make it a point that the kid(s) would continue to have a very strong connection to all their relatives on both sides of the family (Jeff and mine).  We knew instantly we made the right choice picking Lori.  Although, we hope to never find out how amazing a guardian she would be.

When I got married, I made Lori my Maid of Honor.  I didn't realize how seriously she took her job until later in the evening, when the reception was in full swing and I looked down and saw blood oozing out of my open-toe shoes. Someone with high heeled-shoes must've stepped on my toes.  Due to the excitement of the evening, I didn't even realize it until I looked down and saw the blood.  I quickly grabbed my sister and lifted up my dress to show her.  Lori went into action and pulled me into the bride's room.  She retrieved her bag and pulled out a first-aid kit.  I was blown-away impressed and told her so.  She said she took being Maid of Honor serious and did research on what she should have on stand-by if necessary.  I had no idea Lori had a small suitcase of stuff ready for any type of emergency. 


That's me on the left and Lori on the right. 
It didn't take long for Lori to get taller.
 Growing up, Lori and I fought like cats and dogs. Some of our fights are the stuff from which legends are made and will still be brought up from time to time when the family gathers.  One in particular was The Olive Garden incident where cake was thrown from one of us to the other across the table, all the while hair pulling and screaming occurred.  I am 100% positive when I tell you this, I was in the right and Lori was wrong.

Heck, we can still go at it like nobody's business.  But there is no one, and I mean no one, that can talk bad about my sister.  And while our fighting is intense, it is over and forgotten just as quickly as it began.  I know I can count on my sister - from picking me up at the airport at midnight (an hour drive away), to making sure she is fully stocked with gluten-free foods when I come to visit, to giving me an honest answer if something looks good.  It doesn't get much better than this.

I love my sister dearly and wish her a year filled with much love, laughter, and happiness.  She deserves the best.  Happy birthday Lori.  You rock!


No comments:

Post a Comment