Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Our New Normal

The wind has shifted at Casa del Toppall.  My Toppall team and I now live in a universe where Jeff leaves for work a good 30 minutes earlier (almost guaranteed before the kids wake-up) and comes home at least an hour later, if not more, at the end of the day.  Three days last week, it was either as the kids were going to bed or after.

Jeff has been assigned to a new client (which is a good thing) and our lives has shifted to an existence we are not used fully used to yet.  His commute now brings him North of Union Station.  After reviewing all the commuting options (driving, metro, slug, VRE), Jeff determined his best bet is to take VRE in to the city and walk the few blocks to his office.  We are so fortunate to live about a mile from the VRE lot, but this means Jeff now leaves and returns when the VRE runs, which is every 30 minutes.  Again, not a problem, just something new and different to get used to.

This universe also has Jeff wearing a suit and tie to work.  This required some serious shopping to update his wardrobe and fulfill the dress requirements. 

My world of counting on Jeff to walk through the door each day by 5:30pm has ended.  For the last 6 1/2 years, I would hand the kids over to him and become "off duty" so to speak as a mom.  Jeff would bathe the kids, play with them for an hour or so after dinner, read them their bedtime stories, and sing Sam her songs. 

I am adjusting slowly, so is Jeff.  Not getting to see his kids as much as he used to is very hard on him.  We will value our time more as a family now on the weekends.  And I will be planning dinner playdates during the week more to fill up the day. 

In a world where the economy and job market is shaky at best, I thank G-d that Jeff is employed with a great company, making a decent salary, doing a job he enjoys.  We will get used to our new normal and be just fine.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when Joseph was deployed and I went from "part time help" to all me and after a few weeks, I had it down to a science. It is a new normal and as hard as it is, you suddenly find yourself in a rhythm and even better, more efficient/family focused when he is home. Hope that helps though I get it.

    ReplyDelete