Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Passover Perfect

We are currently ending the holiday of Passover.  It has gone swimmingly well this year.  I reflect back to the wonderful Passover Seders with my family growing up and hope that similar fond memories will be created and live within my kids.

We were fortunate to be invited to a friend's Seder the first night and to go to my in-laws for a Seder the 2nd night.  Both were incredibly special in their own ways. 

I loved so many aspects of Passover this year and will do my best to capture a few of the highlights in a top 10 list.  (Jeff - I write this, paying homage to you and your infamous top 10 lists).

Top 10 Things I Loved About Passover This Year:
(in no particular order)

10.  Knowing my dad got out of the hospital just in the nick of time go to my sister's for Passover Seder at her house.  My dad was hospitalized due to a staph infection and it was not certain when he'd be able to get released.  Come to think of it, knowing him, he may have escaped and not actually got discharged.

9.  Watching Ian and Sam partake in the Seders.  Both kids did an excellent job sitting through the service before we got to the food part.  I am very proud of them. 

8.  Since I am gluten-free, it's relatively easy to keep Passover.  I'm already not eating regular bread and pasta.  The supply of baked goodies that are gluten-free AND kosher for passover are through the roof!  It gets better and better each year.

7. Doing the 2nd night of Passover at my in-laws and spending the night. Since it was Saturday, we didn't have to rush home afterwards.  It was great getting to spend some extra time and not watch the clock on making it home in time to get the kids down.

6. Being with our friends on Friday night and watching the kids at the table.  It was truly wonderful to see how much these kids have grown and celebrate this important Jewish holiday together. Given that there are very few Jewish kids in Ian's class at school, I love that they have each other. 

5. Watching Ian be open enough to try gefilte fish for the first time and enjoying it.  He ate a whole serving of fish both nights. 

4. Listening to Ian read the Four Questions.  It was really wonderful to see how far his reading has come.  There is no way he was capable of doing this just one year ago.

3. One of the most entertaining Sedars I get to participate in has been adopted by Jeff's parents.  It is a very family-friendly version of the haggadah.  90% of the Seder is telling the story through song parodies.  We always have great fun year after year singing classic tunes of "Gilligan's Island", "I've been working on the railroad", the "Twelve days of Christmas", and more; all with the words changed to tie it in to the Passover Seder.

2. The availability of Gluten-free matzoh.  Yay to Whole Foods for carrying this item and having plenty in stock.

1. The most awesome scavenger hunt my friend created for the 8 kids to partake in to find the Afikomen.  Or, was it just a wild goose chase that led to anything but the Afikomen?  Each of the clues were tailored to the kids' personalities perfectly.  It was truly unique and the kids loved it.

Sam's Clue:  Sam, you remind of us all that princesses have to offer.  You are Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White.  Go find clue #4.  (The clue was in the dress-up clothing box).

Ian's Clue: Ian, your wise and smart and would never need to use one of these to do any math problems because you are a math genius.  Go find clue #7.  (The clue was under a calculator).

Passover Perfect.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment