Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Really, it's Chinese.

Kudos to Jeff for successfully pulling the wool over Sam's eyes.  She has been dying to eat Chinese and Jeff told her the next time we go to a restaurant, she can pick it.  The opportunity came up a few Fridays ago when our dinner plans at a friend's house fell thru and we used the opportunity to go out to eat. 

When we were dating, I introduced Jeff to Cafe Asia in Arlington. Jeff wasn't familiar with Japanese food and I enjoyed showing him some of my favorite rolls and edamame.  He instantly fell in love with the place, and we've been back many times.  Although, we've had yet to eat there since having two kids.  It just isn't convenient to where we live and the food generally has to be more kid-friendly in order to justify going to a restaurant.

But, what the hell, we decided to go for it.  Jeff's office he works at on Fridays is located a few blocks up the street from Cafe Asia.  We decided the kids and I would drive in and meet him at 5:15pm. Jeff told Sam she is getting her pick of restaurants and we will be doing Chinese.  However, Ho's Dynasty (our fave place) is closed (boo-hoo! They've shut down for good), and we will need to go a little further for Chinese food.

During the drive to Arlington:

Sam:  "Ian, we are going to CHINESE!!!!!  It's my choice. I picked it!  It's CHINESE!!!!!"

Ian:  "I know, I can't wait to get sweet and sour chicken."

Me:  "Ian, um, this place isn't going to have sweet and sour chicken.' 

Ian:  "WHAT!?!?  What Chinese restaurant doesn't have sweet and sour chicken?"

Can't blame the kid...he's right you know.

Sam:  "Ian, its CHINESE!!!!!!!!"

Ian:  "Then what will I get?"

Sam:  "CHINESE FOOD!!!!!"

Oy, poor girl is going to grow-up so confused after this restaurant experience.

Me:  "You'll be able to get spring rolls, noodles, and other chicken dishes."

Sam: "I want noodles!!"

Ian:  "I want Mexican.  The next time we go out, I get to pick.  I want Mexican."

Sam:  "Can I get noodles at Mexican?"

Me:  "Yes, you can."

Ian:  "No, you can't get noodles at Mexican!"

Sam:  "Can we go to a Mexican restaurant that you can get noodles?"

Me:  "Can we just make it through this restaurant first before we begin arguing on where we will go next?"

It was an easy drive into town -- how sad that Arlington is considered "in town" to me now, and parking was a breeze.  We decided to eat outside.  Friday, March 23rd was a gorgeous day and it was nice to have fresh air and enjoy the outdoors.

Even though we knowingly went to restaurant with no kids menu (hard to believe, right?), the food was a big hit with Ian and Sam.  They ate incredibly well and Ian even tried a cucumber roll and asparagus roll for the first time and really liked it.  He didn't even spit it out when I told him it was wrapped in seaweed.  He said next time he'd like to try a salmon roll. 

Hold on to your socks, we even stayed longer than 45 minutes!  We actually ate the food in the right order, appetizers and then the entrees.  Whoa, baby! 

No comments:

Post a Comment