Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cooking with Sam

My mom's mom was a very successful Jewish caterer in South Jersey. Back in the day, she did Bas Mitzvahs, weddings and events.  Her food melted in your mouth and 40 years later, people still talk about her cooking.  My grandmother didn't know how to cook for only 2, there was always a ton of food at the table when you came over for dinner.  Her favorite thing to read were cookbooks. I miss my grandmother greatly and fondly remember letting me help her roll out the rugelach.  Oh my, they were the best. 

I can safely say without hurting anyone's feelings that my mom did not inherit my grandmother's natural ability to cook.  In fact, I have a ton of examples to the contrary that even when following a recipe exactly, something doesn't work out.  And as for me, I'm just happy to get dinner on the table most nights.  I am not looking to change the world with my cooking and the less time I can spend in the kitchen, the better.

But, if there was a cooking gene and someone were to inherit it, it is Samantha.  At four years old, Sam is my right-hand in the kitchen.  She is very quick to put on an apron and pull up her step stool.  She wants to be a part of every dish I make.  She asks questions about what we're making, how long it will take to cook and what ingredients we need.  She is not afraid to stand at the stove and stir continuously or to work her dull knife and cut stuff up. 

This is Sam wearing her apron. 
She made it at mom-mom's house over the summer.

Sam rolling out the pizza dough.
 
When dinner is served, we all thank Sam for making our meal.  The smile on Sam's face extends from one ear to the other.  She loves getting complimented for a job well done.  One of her favorite things to make is scrambled eggs for Ian in the morning. 

Sam is an excellent student.  I can only imagine the kvelling my grandmom syl would do if she had Sam in her kitchen helping her.

1 comment:

  1. So great. Kids who help cook and grocery shop are far more likely to try new foods. Plus, at this rate, by the time she's 6 or 7, she'll be making dinners fro the whole family. Bonus!!

    ReplyDelete