Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Getting all Jetsons

Since my car does not require the key fob to open the car doors or an actual key to start the ignition, I've decided to change the way we enter our house. I've got the keys buried at the bottom of my purse and I'd just rather leave them there.

I took the plunge and upgraded our front door to an electronic lock. We now use a 4 digit combination to open the door.  I LOVE IT!!  It is truly fabulous and has saved me on many occasions when having to look for my keys.

Jeff wasn't a big fan of the idea and probably still isn't.  He didn't understand how difficult it was for me to find my keys each time I needed to get in the house.  Besides getting frustrated over this, I was tried of dragging my keys with me every time I walked somewhere.  I've been doing a lot of walking lately...walking to meet my friend in the morning at 5:30am, walking to go to my boot camp workout, walking to take the kids to school in the morning and walking again in the afternoon to get them home from school, and of course, my favorite walk...walking to Cafe Rio to pick up lunch. 

Now, I've got it made!  I don't have to take any keys with me and they can stay buried at the bottom of my "Mary Poppins" bag.   I come and go easily and take only my cell phone with me.

The electronic lock can handle up to 19 individual codes.  They can be changed and deleted without any difficulty. The kids love using it and I love knowing they won't ever be locked out because they don't have a key on them.

There was a version of the lock I was considering that gives you text messages when the door opens and can also allow you to open the door remotely from your smartphone.  I almost got this one, but it would've started us down the path of converting our house to a "smart house" and I am not convinced this is necessary for us yet.  Maybe in 5 years it will be useful, but by then the technology could be very different.  Surprisingly to Jeff, I held off and kept the model I bought to something that was reasonable.

The lock arrived in 2 days (Go Amazon Prime!) and I had the whole thing installed before Jeff got home from work.  I had a feeling he wouldn't be supportive and therefore, not much of a help.  It was a great feeling to know that I could do it all on my own.  Yay!  Jeff only asked that I gave him the code so he could get into his own house.

Channeling my inner-Jane Jetson is pretty fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment