Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2015

School News

This just in...

Saxophone
Ian has decided to switch from the string instrument he played last year (the violin) to playing a band instrument this year (the saxophone).  I can't wait to see him play.  He is going to look adorable practicing.  I absolutely LOVE that Fairfax County Public Schools offers instruction on playing musical instruments.  Jeff and I are not musically inclined (that's a bit of an understatement!) and it would not have come across our radar for the kids to take music lessons.  Ian has a wonderful opportunity to give it a try and see if he likes it.  Oh what fun!


Vice President
Ian decided to run for Vice President of the student council this school year.  He came home so excited and worked all night on his speech.  He had to go up against the other kids in his class who also wanted to run for Vice President.  And then the winner from that vote would go up against the kids from the other 5th grade classes for the ultimate win to be VP.  Unfortunately Ian didn't win the class vote.  I was heartbroken for him, but so proud of him to go for it and give it all he got.  He really tried his best.

Ian's speech (He wrote this entirely on his own!):

I've been at Fairview since kindergarten.  It is a great school and I have been eager to run for a position as soon as possible. I'm a great leader and very responsible.  I will also always stand up for the little guy if you know what I mean.  Now here are a few ideas to make Fairview better.  First, there should be a first aid kit on the blacktop so if kids get hurt they don't have to go to the nurse's office and miss the rest of their recess.  Second, I will put a box outside the cafeteria for students to make suggestions about how to make school better.  I will check the box every Friday.  Assemblies should be interactive, engaging to make them more interesting and fun.  It would be an honor to represent you and be your voice.  And remember, forget the rest and vote the best!  Your vote's worth it!


Ian's Teacher
I got the chance to meet Ian's 5th grade teacher at back-to-school night.  She gave a presentation on her style of teaching, her feelings about homework and what to expect out of this school year.  WOW!  The only thing I can say is that I wish I could quit being an adult and go back to 5th grade to have her as a teacher.  Ian is in for one fantastic year.  As much as a last year was a disaster for Ian, this year will be phenomenal for him.  I feel like if you put in a computer the environment/classroom Ian will excel in, his teacher is what would come out.  She is a dream come true. I can't wait to see Ian soar.  I am sure his enthusiasm for school will be back at an all-time high in no time.


Uh-oh, the bus
One afternoon during the first week of school,  I walked to school to get the kids and only Ian came out.  We waited about 15 minutes and couldn't locate Sam.  The staff member who is in charge of this exit from the school called to the office on his walkie-talkie to see if they'd seen Samantha.  He was informed she went on the bus.  WHAT????   We don't have a bus assigned to us.  We live too close to the school and are considered "walkers".  Uh-oh!   Once I found out which bus she went on, I called my friend Kelly and told her to be on the lookout for Sam as she was headed that way.  Ian and I got to Kelly's house about 2 minutes after the bus dropped her off with Kelly's girls.  Sam saw me and burst into tears.  She knew something wasn't right and was worried I'd be upset with her.  My poor girl.

It turned out there was a BIG misunderstanding and multiple points throughout this situation went askew.  There are many checkpoints (the last one being the bus driver stopping an unknown rider getting on board and asking for a bus pass) that weren't followed.  The story has a happy ending; we found Sam pretty quickly and she was safe.  But it made for one exciting afternoon!


Ian's new head coach
Ian's flag football team has a new head coach.  I'm sure you've all met him....his name is Jeff Toppall.  Jeff volunteered to be the assistant coach, but somewhere along the way, he was instantly promoted to head coach.  Oh my!  I think we are all nervous (including Jeff) about him being head coach, but he has risen to the occasion and is going to do great!   Flag Football starts this Saturday.  Yay!!


We are only 3 weeks into the school and it's already proven to never be a dull moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment