Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Heard and Observed #55

While we were driving to D.C. to see the monuments (about a 25 minute drive), the boys started a conversation on the stories they each heard from their grandparents on what life was like for them growing up.  My mom is Ian's grandmother and Max's grandfather is my mom's brother.  It was very sweet listening to the boys go back and forth describing what life was like for Mom-Mom (Ian's grandmother) and Poppy (Max's grandfather) as children, until they came to a conflicting part of the story and Max & Ian were no longer on the same page.

Ian:  You know we can't really believe everything they say.  This is like 60 years ago for these people.

Hahaha!  I LOVED listening to the boys speak.  You just don't realize the impact it made on them to hear these stories.  Ian had been hanging on every word that his Mom-mom has told him over the years, just like Max was hanging on every word that his Poppy told him.  You could hear my mom's voice and my uncle's voice come thru the boys as they spoke.  So. Very. Cool.  This is what family is all about.

It's a lot of work to get our visits coordinated (the boys have VERY different school schedules), not to mention the drive up and back to Cherry Hill, NJ.  But its worth it.  My side of the family does not live close by and its very important to me that my kids have a relationship with their relatives.

***************************************************************************

Later that night, as we are driving in the car listening to an oldies station, I'd say to the kids, "Who can tell me who is singing?"

Ian:  Cyndi Lauper
Max: Madonna
Sam:  Pink!  (hahaha, I guess this qualifies as an "oldies" person for her)

Me:  Nope, you're all wrong.  It's Michael Jackson.

Ian:  You mean that's a guy???

Me:  Yes.

Max:  I don't mean to be rude, but that guy sounds like a girl.

hahahahahah!!  After that, every time I asked them who was singing the next song, they would always throw in Michael Jackson's name, even when it was clearly a female voice.  The kids were so confused.  How funny!

***************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment