Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

It's SnOwAwesome!

When I was little girl growing up in the 70's, my dad had a CB radio.  We used to have fun with it while driving around.  My handle was "Snow Girl".  Yep, living in Florida and with any name I could imagine to call myself in CB land, I chose "Snow Girl".  That's how much I wanted to be around snow. 

When it came time to pick a college to attend, I knew I had to go somewhere it could snow.  I need 4 seasons in my year! I packed up suitcases and moved to Washington D.C.   26 years later and I am still here.  26 years later and I am still in love with the city every time it snows.  This past blizzard that dropped close to 30 inches where I live was no exception.  I never get tired of snow.  I love it!   You know the saying, "Less is more"?  Well in my case when it comes to snow, "More is more!"

A few random thoughts by me on this latest snowfall aka Snowzilla!:

1. I still get very excited when I hear snow in the forecast.

2. 30 inches is a lot of snow!   Go big or go home!  30 inches is just enough to satisfy my need for snow this winter. Although I wouldn't be opposed to more snow this year.  :)

3. Digging ourselves out really brought our community together.  On my pipestem, the neighbors and Jeff/I worked like a team and got it done.  Furthermore, we branched out into the neighborhood and helped a few neighbors who needed an extra hand.  It feels good to be united and come together.

4. I've posted more status updates on Facebook in the 3 days we were stuck at home than I have in the last 6 months combined.

5. I enjoy baking when I know there is no where I need to be.  I made Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, Blueberry Oatmeal Bread and Chocolate Chip Cookies.

6. It's always fun to guess when the kids will have school again.  They've been off now since Thursday.  5 days of cancelled school and we're still not sure when they will go back.

7. Our area just can't handle this much snow!  See item #6 above.

8.  My husband does not take snow days off from work.  If anything, he'll log more hours in his day working from home because he doesn't have the commute of driving to the office.

9. I truly believe this will go down as one of those events my kids will forever remember....it was a historic amount of snow.

10.  I will never not live within walking distance of a shopping center.  It is truly a blessing to know that no matter how snowed in we get, we can always make our way to Chipotle, Safeway or Kohls.  Seriously, what more do you need?

11. Even though each night I go to bed knowing I can sleep in the next morning (as we really have no place to be), I still wake up at 4:45am.  There is just no changing my internal clock.

12. I've never been more proud of my son as to when he saw an elderly gentleman across the street from our house trying to dig himself out.  Ian volunteered to help him.  I love the heart and compassion this kid has.  Makes me feel like Jeff and I are doing a good job.

13. It's funny how life can be so, so busy and over-scheduled.  And then NOTHING!  It's like everyone is given a pass to 'hunker down' and hibernate.   With one fell swoop, all of our activities, school events and life in general gets put on hold.  When you think about it, it's a pretty cool phenomenon that makes us all equal.

14. Kudos to Silver Diner.  They were brilliant in their marketing and sent out an email to all their loyalty customers letting us know they were open on Sunday; a mere 4 or 5 hours after it finally stopped snowing.  Their strategy worked and we went for dinner Sunday evening.  We were able to dig ourselves out earlier in the day and made it to the restaurant.  What a nice treat to get out of the house.

15.  My family goes through a ridiculous amount of fruit when we are all home together for 6 consecutive days.   I guess there are worse things to overdose and snack on, but wow!

16. The crazy man I work for got snowed in at his girlfriend's house in Bethesda.  As of Tuesday evening, her street still hadn't been plowed.  Despite a 3 week trip they are scheduled to take on Feb. 1st, they have a very volatile relationship and he can't stand to be around her.  To know he has been stuck with her in the same house (with no way out!) from Friday to Wednesday makes me laugh.  I can only imagine what it is going on.

17. I believe we are close to purchasing a snow blower.  As soon as there is mention of another snowfall in the forecast (with at least 6 inches or more), Jeff is open to the idea of discussing getting one.  My idea of discussing this is telling him what I am doing as I press "Confirm" on the Amazon Prime payment page. (Ha! Ha!  Just kidding, honey!)  I hope to make our lives much easier the next time something like this comes around.

Ok, that is all I have to say about this snow event.  :)



Ian helping the neighbor across the street.





Snowball fight!


No comments:

Post a Comment