Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Being sick sucks!

All last week I had a horrible cold.  It started as an annoying sore throat and then moved to my nose and finally, it landed in my chest and a horrible cough developed.  I was a mess to say the least.  Sleep was not happening and as the days went on, I felt my body shutting down more and more.

Timing for this cold was the worst!  The kids started back to school, my job at the preschool was kicking in at full speed, and The Crazy Man had quite a few issues that he needed help with.  There were dentist and orthodontist appts to go to, therapy appts that couldn't be missed and a few back-to-school events.  My usual strategy when I feel a cold coming on is to pay no attention to it and know that it will go away shortly.  Power on with everything I need to do and be everywhere I need to be.  For some reason this "mind over matter" stay strong way of thinking works out and I hardly miss a beat.

Not this time.  This time this cold kicked my butt.  By day 3 I threw in the towel and went to the doctor.  He said I had bronchitis and prescribed me an antibiotic. It was still another 48 hours before I felt human again.  It's amazing how a good night of sleep can make or break you.

I hate being sick.  I don't have time for it.  I wish there was a way I could find out in advance when I'll be sick and then I'll schedule it in.  But since that can't happen, I will never have 4 or 5 days completely responsibility-free to cater to a cold or bronchitis or whatever is ailing me.  No way.

I am thankful for a husband who is quick to offer to work from home and help me. I am thankful for an employer who is quick to take one look at me and tell me to go home early.  I am also thankful for medications that help me breathe and cough less. And Nyquil is a good thing too.  A very good thing.

I don't get sick often but when I do it is very memorable.  And it sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment