Pages

Saturday, September 2, 2017

First week of Middle School is in the books

Ian survived.  He didn't die.  Despite all his concerns that he wouldn't make it in one piece, I am glad to report he did.  Of course he was going to be fine.  We all knew it would be okay.  But in Ian's mind starting middle school was the end of the world and surely, he was going to die.

By the time orientation and locker day arrived, Ian was a nervous wreck.  His anxiety was sky high and he walked around the house muttering to himself, "I'm going to die.  I'm going to die."  Jeff and I tried to tell Ian that kids don't die from going to 7th grade.  If they did, there would never be an 8th grade or a 9th grade.  I told Ian that if there was a chance kids could die from 7th grade moms would never send their kids.

Fortunately Ian saw one of his buddy's first thing in the morning for orientation.  That alone helped him to survive the morning.  And then when Ian found out he had friends he knew in all his classes, his anxiety was greatly reduced.  Three of his core classes is with one of his best friends.  That's huge! It was still going to be challenging for Ian to be okay with this next big step but he was seeing a bit of the light shining at the end of the tunnel.


Ian learning how to open his locker.

Ian's locker...all set-up and ready to go!

Transitioning to middle school is no joke!  Ian had a class size of 108 in elementary school which has now jumped to 603 students in 7th grade. And since the middle school is also in the same building as the high school, it is like the size of a small country.  Other new things for Ian to get used to include using a locker and a rotating block schedule where half of his classes meet on one day and the other half meet on the other day.  And to top it off, Ian is now riding the bus to and from school.  This is a new experience too as we were close enough to the elementary school to be considered walkers.

It's a lot of changes all at once.

That first day of school, I wanted nothing more than to walk Ian to where the bus stop is in our neighborhood.  As soon as he saw the other kids gathering at the stop (no one had any parents!), he looked at me and made me go back home.  I couldn't wait with him for the bus to come and I certainly couldn't take pictures of him getting on the bus or even call out to him one last time "I love you Ian!  Have a great day!".   The air was let out of my balloon and I walked back towards home disappointed.  UNTIL, I crossed the street and started hiding behind the cars in our neighbor's driveways, crouching down lower and lower, making my way back closer to the bus stop. Some of the lawns I had to cross were wet from a recent rain and my shoes got soaked.  So there's that.  But I did it!  I got to see the bus come and Ian get on it.

Ian turning around and telling me to leave.  Go away!

From my hiding spot behind a car.  Waiting for the bus to come.

There it is!  There's the bus.  
The bus passing by.  I hope Ian doesn't see me hiding behind this car. :)

It's been a full week of school and Ian is doing very well.  He can open his locker most times without having to make too many attempts.  He finds the right bus (out of over 50!) for which one to take home in the afternoon.  And he has a group of boys he sits with at lunch that he knows from his elementary school.  All in all, he is off to a great start.

No comments:

Post a Comment