Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I see you!

Oprah has done wonders for the book industry, girls needing an education in Africa, and many other worthwhile causes. But for me, I am most grateful to Oprah for introducing me to Skype.

For last couple of years, every guest Oprah has on her show via satellite is possible through Skype. Without her, I probably wouldn't have known just how cool the technology is or how easy it is do. Having my family live in Orlando is tough. I miss them more than what is considered normal and have been known to call anywhere from 1 to 5 times a day. It is a rare day that goes by when I haven't spoken to my mom at least once.

With the magical powers of Skype, my mom gets to see Sam take her first steps and waddle around. She eats breakfast with the kids in the morning and sometimes greets Sam when she wakes up from a nap. She makes us laugh with her efforts in trying to get the webcam up close and personal -- sometimes too much and all we see is up her nostrils.

Samantha watches the netbook get powered on (this is where our webcam is located) and instantly starts waving. She points to her chair and wants a front row seat to the action. Every now and then she'll take a look behind the computer to see where the rest of Mom-mom is located. It is very cute. And on command, she'll blow kisses to the screen when I tell her it is time to say good-bye.

Ian is a goofball and talks to Mom-mom like she is his peer. They have a unique relationship and enjoys chatting with her about what he is eating, who he will be playing with later that day and what his toys are doing.

I love technology and the ability for my kids to see their grandparents more than they would be able to. It's wonderful that my mom can see them grow, develop and what new things they are in to.

And the best part is, Skype is free and budget-friendly. Now this is even something that is Jeff approved! Who knows, now that Oprah has decided to end her show, maybe she'll want to skype with us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment