Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Good help is easy to find, if you know where to look

Sam loves taking care of her brother Ian. At just 17 months, she is proving to be a good mommy.

On the rare occasion that I am the one to give the kids their bath, I take the most efficient route possible and bathe them together. No one ever tells you how great this is when deciding to give your only child a sibling. But being able to bathe two kids at once is a wonderful thing! You have both kids in one place, they are getting clean and having fun playing -- all at the same time. What can be better? Since Ian is a boy and Samantha is a girl, I know bathing them together can't go on for much longer, but for the time being, I do enjoy it.

Once the bath is over, I'll take Samantha out first, get her dry and pajamas on. Then I'll go back to the bathtub and get Ian. While I am doing this, Sam goes into Ian's room and pulls out a pair of pajamas for him to wear. I guess I did something right years ago, when I put his pajamas in the bottom drawer!

In the morning, Ian gets up very early and heads downstairs first thing. By the time I catch up and bring him clothes to change into, Sam has helped and given her input. Once Ian makes it into the bathroom (when taking off his pjs he realizes he needs to go pee), Sam is right there, meeting him at the bathroom door, holding out underwear for him to put on. She then goes to get his pants and hands them to him, and then, last but not least, she will give him his shirt/sweater. With each item, she holds out it to him and says "this...this...this...this" until he takes it from her and puts it on.

And, when I shout out "Ian, it's time to get your socks and shoes on." Guess who is the first one bringing him his socks? Yes, it's Sam. Most of the time she is faster than him.

The only thing Sam asks for in return for this help is a bite (or two, or three) of whatever he is eating. I guess her food never looks as good as what he has.

1 comment: