Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

My new personal assistant

I feel we are now one step closer to living like The Jetson's with the new technology the iPhone 4s brings to our lives.  The cool new software, Siri, is simply amazing.

So I went and did it. I couldn't resist and took the plunge. I am now the proud owner of the iPhone 4s.  It's very different than the blackberry I've been using and very similar to the iTouches the kids have.  There are quite a few things I love about it, and likewise, a few things I am not so crazy about.  But so far, Siri is in bold, large-sized type face at the top of the PROS column casting a big shadow over anything in the CONS column. 

For those not familiar with what Siri is, it is best described to be like a personal assistant.  All you have to do is press a button on your phone and speak in a regular, conversational voice what it is you want.  Directions to a specific address?  Done.  What Japanese restaurants are nearby?  Done.  What will the weather be like today?  Done.  Text Jeff and tell him I am running late?  Done.  Find me the closest Old Navy?  Done.  Call mom at home?  Done.   Remind me to download a book?  Done. Yes, it can do all that and more. 

A few funny moments:

I pre-ordered the iPhone 4s and was eagerly anticipating its arrival.  The UPS guy got quite the welcoming committee when a friend who was over, Sam and me all ran outside to greet him when we saw the UPS truck go by.  I don't think he ever had anyone come meet him outside before.  Then a few minutes later, this same friend was back at her house and got the same exact UPS guy stopping by her house with her new phone. 

When I was trying it out and having fun with it, I hit the Siri button on my phone and said, "Please tell me what the weather is today."   Before Siri could answer, Sam got her mouth really close to the phone and said, "Wet.  It's going to be wet today."  It was super cute.

A few hours after I received the phone, Jeff was trying to call me.  5 frustrating calls from him later and I finally figured out why I couldn't hear him and he couldn't hear me.  I still had the plastic protector on the screen, blocking out the speaker.  hehehehehehehe.

My friend, who I will call "Mary" to protect the innocent, also got the iPhone 4s.  We were both playing around with it on Saturday morning.  I wasn't positive I was answering the phone correctly when it was in the locked position and Mary said she would call me.  She was super excited about using Siri to make the phone call and said, "watch this....  C A L L   R O B Y N  T O P P A L L  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  I couldn't stop laughing. Um, hello...Siri is not deaf, and she is not a foreigner; English is her first language.  It was hilarious and we both got a good laugh.  Then the call went through and I figured out how to answer my phone. 

Siri is my new fun friend.  I am going to keep her close by at all times.  Now I just need to ask her advice on how to raise a strong-willed, brilliantly smart three year old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment