Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

My shining star

The first Friday I went to volunteer in the library at Ian's school, I got a bird's eye view of what my child is like during the school hours.  I was able to be in the shadows helping shelve books when Ian's class came in.  The first part of their library time is spent getting a book read to the kids and then the students can find a book to check out and take home. 

The librarian was reading a book to them having to do about opera.  She asked the children if they knew what an opera was.  One little girl said something to the effect of "a lady dressed as a viking who sings really badly".  I had to chuckle to myself when I heard this answer. 

Then I saw Ian's hand go up and get called on for his answer.  "An opera is a play that they sing."  The librarian said (in a very even-keel voice):  "Yes, something like that." 

How awesome was Ian's answer?!?!?!  Where was the cheering and clapping and jumping up & down for the most amazing answer ever!?!?!?!  I so badly wanted to jump out of the book shelves I was hiding behind and give Ian the biggest hug for the most awesome answer ever.  I was so proud of him and had no idea he even knew what an opera was. 

I wanted immediately to call everyone I know to let them know how brilliant my son was.  Fortunately I held it together and didn't reveal myself until it was time to check out the kids' books.  I did tell Ian how great I thought his answer was when I picked him up from school later that day.  Don't you worry, I more than made up for the librarian's lack of enthusiasm.

I guess its a good thing I am only volunteering at the school once a week.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment