Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

The candy delimma

The little devil on one side of Sam's shoulder must've had some pretty harsh words for the little angel sitting on her other shoulder.

I had told Sam she could have 2 pieces of Halloween candy a day.  I didn't care if those pieces were both eaten by 9:00am, there would be no more candy for the rest of the day.  Sam would be very content to live on a diet of only candy, so I knew the 2 piece limit was going to be a tough one.  The first day following Halloween, Sam had her 2 pieces by 1:00pm.  About an hour later she asked me for another piece.  I said no, and she turned away sulking.  Just a few minutes later, I notice Sam had very quietly taken her HUGE bucket of Halloween candy to her room and closed the door.  Do I let her gorge herself until she gets so sick and doesn't want another piece ever again?  Or, do I go up to her room a few minutes later and catch her in the action? 

I decided to wait it out.  I knew that the only way she was going to be able to have a field day with all the candy is if she had her child-proof scissors to help her get into it.  After about 15 minutes, I went up to her room to investigate. I noticed the bucket was no where to be seen.  Sam went to great lengths to hide it.  She must've had a master plan and maybe the scissors heist was going to happen at another point in time.

The next day Ian is picking out his piece of candy he'd like to eat and Sam runs up to her room.  She comes back down with her big bucket and asks if she can have her 2 pieces of candy.  She eats her candy and leaves her bucket sitting next to Ian's.  At the end of day, Sam was an angel and did the right thing.  For now the little devil on Sam's other shoulder will have to make do with a little less candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment