Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Looked Hell directly in the eye

It takes a lot for me or the kids to get sick.  For the most part, we are a very healthy bunch (knock on wood) and only experience maybe one or two colds through out any given year.  I chalk this up to not keeping an extremely clean house and thus the germs help build up our immunity systems.  I am definitely not one of those moms who freaks out when I hear a kid we just played with is sick or getting over being sick.

But boy did Ian and I get knocked down big-time this past Sunday.  Fever?  Check.  Nausea?  Check.   Dizzy?  Check.  Can't move?  Check.  Throwing up?  Check. 

We were at a friend's house with a few other families on Friday night and received an email early the next morning from our host apologizing in advance for what might soon hit us.  5 out of 6 of their family members woke up in the middle of the night sick with this stomach bug.  I immediately replied back and wrote, "Don't worry about it.  I am sure we will be fine.  Besides, you can never be certain when you get sick who contaminated you or them."  These kind of emails come all the time after having play dates and finding out the kids your kids were playing with are now sick. 

All Saturday we were fine.  Ian did complain of a tummy ache Saturday night, but Jeff chalked it up to him having eaten dinner too quickly. As soon as the babysitter showed up, Ian was his cheerful self and was eager to play wii games for a few hours with Patrick.  Jeff and I went to a party and had a great time.  All was well.  By the time the sun rose on Sunday, it was a very different story in our house.  Within minutes Ian and I were part of the casualties this Burke stomach bug had taken as its latest victims.  The rumor was that this bug will last only 12 hours, but I guess I got lucky as I was still throwing up a good 15 hours after it started.  I hadn't eaten anything since Saturday night and obviously couldn't even hold down water.  Jeff said it's bad when you throw up the medication to help you no longer feel nauseas.  I don't throw up easily and never even did once with either pregnancy.  Actually I can't remember the last time I threw up.  But boy will I remember this day for a long, long time.  It was bad.  Very bad. 

You know how bad it was?  Even not having eating anything all day, anything close to resembling food or the thought of food on tv sent me racing to the bathroom.

Ian got off a little better.  He only threw up once in the morning.  But the rest of the time you would think we were matching lumps, close to comatose, unable to function. 

It wasn't until the next morning that Ian and I faced a new day and could hold our heads up again.  I kept Ian home from school so that he could take it easy and be ready for trick-or-treating that night.  That was the important goal - be healthy enough to go out on Halloween.  How sad to wait all year for this holiday and then have to miss it.

24 hours after Ian and I had it, Jeff got affected with a very minor case.  Compared to me and Ian, you can't even call what Jeff had as having the stomach bug.  He went to work a little late on Monday, but still managed to get to the office.

Sam, on the other hand, is one tough chick. She came out of this completely unscathed.  I have a feeling the Burke stomach bug took one look at her and ran the other way. 

1 comment:

  1. Im so sorry you were sick and I was feeling it all the way until the bug looked at Sam and then I laughed out loud spitting up coffee...thank you.

    ReplyDelete