Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

A very close call

The other day the kids and I were leaving the mall and making our way to where the car was parked.  Sam spotted my car and ran up a few feet ahead of us.  Right next to our car, was a car backing out of its spot. 

Before I had time to think, I yelled at the top of my lungs, "STOP!!!!!  SAM!!!!!!!  WATCH OUT!!!!!" 

I actually don't remember even thinking about what to say.  It was all instinct and while yelling it, I ran towards Sam to grab her from being behind this car, which still had its back-up lights on and was still backing out.  Again, another reaction that came very natural and didn't require any fore thought. It totally freaked me out. 

It was insane how close we were to watching Sam get run over.  Fortunately my yelling stopped the driver. And Sam hearing me yell, got scared and turned around to run back to me.  It all went down within 2 seconds, but those 2 seconds felt like 2 minutes of action.  My heart was racing and as I grabbed Sam to do a combination of pulling her away from danger and giving her a hug, I swear I started shaking.

I looked at Ian and he said, "My heart just broke."

I think both Ian and I couldn't believe what was about to happen.  Ian summed up his feelings in 4 words.  It was beautiful, terrifying, and earth-shattering, all in the same moment with those 4 words.

My thoughts exactly Ian.

No comments:

Post a Comment