Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tales from the Crypt

I've been settling in to my new job.  I have to say, it is a bit refreshing to be doing something that doesn't involve kids. Every day I work for The Man is like stringing together a bunch of clues and solving little mysteries.  Most days I leave his place shaking my head on what I was able to accomplish with the very little information I was given.  This job is not for the faint of heart or those who wish for everything to have a sense of order.

For the first 45 minutes or so each time we meet, we spend going over his to-do list.  WHY, OH WHY can't I just get started on completing the list from yesterday?  No, because now the #1s may no longer be a #1.  These items may get demoted to a #3.  And then the other day, I was a given a #Two and a half.  Really.   Then you get something important like make 2 reservations for an upcoming performance and that is given a #3.  Really?  Hello!  This is a show you want to go to.  It is in less than a month.  Let me get you these tickets now!   No, that's not the way it works.  You take care of all the Top Priorities and then the #1s before even thinking of tackling a #2.  At this rate, I'll never get to the #3s.   And each day it starts all over again.

Our conversation the other day:

The Man:  I need you to make this call, email this person, oh and this is a top priority to do this.... and, within the 1st five calls, I want you to get this person on the phone.  A #1 is to find out if this bill is on auto pay.  See if you can locate the back-up list of my cell phone numbers -- not sure where you should look for that.  That is an item for Today.   And here is the fax number for my church. xxx-xxx-xxxx.  In the first 5 calls, we need to contact this person.  Find out if Costco carries the toner I need in the xerox machine.  Need to do a bank wire transfer - How much information can I put in the memo on the transfer?  Get the bank manager on the line.  Need to speak to the manager of Avis in the California location -- that is a Top Priority.  I want to write a letter to the postmaster telling them how pleased I was they found the right address for a letter they forwarded to me.  We need to find out who the postmaster is to send this to.  That is a Top Priority.

Me:  I have a question -- do you want me to put the fax # to the church in your rolodex?

The Man:  No, it's already in there.

Me:  Ok, under what circumstances do you see me needing the fax # to your church?  You don't have a fax machine to fax them anything.

The Man:  You probably don't need the fax # at all.  I just want you to have it.

Me:  Um, Ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment