Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

A fast one!

Ian feels like he doesn't need swim lessons and can swim as good as the next kid.  I love the self-confidence this kid has, but between me and you, Ian shouldn't be swimming in water deeper than 4 feet.  And even then, I'll feel better knowing a lifeguard is close by.

I told Ian last month, I was signing him and Sam up for lessons.  He said, "That's ok, I don't need them.  I know how to swim."  Yes, this may be true, but you can't swim for more than 7 feet without stopping to stand, catch your breath, take a moment to regroup and then decide to keep going to the other side.  This is not swimming!!  Swimming is being able to tread water, float on your back, do a few strokes, and know how to breathe without stopping.

So I agreed with Ian that maybe he doesn't need the lessons.  I told Ian they will evaluate him at the beginning and decide if lessons are even necessary.  Ian loved hearing this and was certain that once the instructors saw what he was capable of, swim lessons were going to be history!  In actuality, I knew they were going to do evaluations to decide which level was best suited for him.

I wasn't sure if he should be placed in level 2 or level 3 when signing up and said on the registration form it could be either one. I knew he hadn't been in a pool in a few months and was probably a little rusty.  Lo and behold, Ian didn't even place in the upper end of level 2.  Lower level 2 it was. 

On the day of the first lesson, Ian saw my friend Kelly and said, "I may not even need these lessons". He was all excited to get in the pool and show them what he had.  Poor thing didn't even see it coming.  Ian did the lesson and said he will go back.  So this is a good thing.  And a big pat on my back for coming up with this brilliant twist to what could've been a not-so-fun-situation, trying to let Ian know that yes, swim lessons were going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment