Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The power of speaking up.

So these swim lessons I keep talking about...let me tell you a thing or two about them.  The place the kids are taking them at is very well run and highly organized.  I was super impressed with the set-up and couldn't ask for a more convenient location or easier parking. 

In previous years, we had Ian doing private lessons at the local university's aquatic center, but at $30 a pop, I could hardly justify or afford spending this for 2 kids at the same time.  We decided to do the group lesson thing at the nearby Swim club.

Sam's group is the basic preschooler 1 class that meets at 10:00am, for 25 minutes.  Ian's group (the infamous level 2) meets at 11:00am, for 30 minutes.  There are approx. 60 kids that span these two hours partaking in various group lessons, at all levels.  And easily 8 teachers and another 6 or 7 assistants that lead the lessons. 

Lo and behold, Ian and Sam got the same exact teacher.  Let's call her Ellie. At first I thought Ellie was great and perfect for Sam.  Sam's class was on the small side and the teacher/assistant to student ratio was amazing.  I couldn't have gotten a better deal than if I paid for Sam to have private lessons. 

By the time Ellie was working with Ian's group, I was highly annoyed by her.  It was embarrassing how she was talking to these 6 and 7 years old kids and the majority of the lesson was spent with the kids doing very little in the water.  You could watch Ellie looking around at everyone and everything but the kids.  You could see her look at the clock on the wall repeatedly.  You could watch her have a side conversation with another teacher/assistant, while the kids did nothing but stand there.  You could see the kids be told to float on their backs, but not offer any assistance with this move.  You could see that minutes would go by with the kids sitting on the side of the pool with only their legs in the water and told to kick.  Really?  Weren't we beyond this already?  Let's help these kids float on their back.  Let's help these kids start to learn strokes.  Let's help these kids learn to breathe with their face in the water.  Ellie was a hot mess and I was not happy.

At the end of the lesson, I approached the Swim Director and voiced my concerns.  She said the first week is one of adjustment for the kids and teachers and to give it a week.  No problem.  I can do that.

One week later, I was ready to jump in the pool and drown this Ellie.  I think you could tell how upset I was - not just at Sam's lessons, but Ian's too.  It was more of the same, but only worse.  This time it took 4 minutes until Sam's class was called in to the water.  THEN Ellie gets out of the pool to gather the necessary tools/toys to use for the class.  WHAT??  Why wouldn't you come to the class prepared!?!?!

With Ian's class, Ellie didn't even look in Ian's direction once!  And her assistant looked like she was too cold to even move in the water.  She stood there with her arms crossed and never moved.  She didn't even get wet.  Nor did she do her job and help the kids. 

You can just imagine my reaction.  The following Tuesday, Sam and I went in person to talk to the swim director.  I told her I gave it a week to see if it got any better and I was ready to pull the kids out of the lessons.  I'd rather lose the money than be aggravated each week.  The swim director offered to switch out their teachers and have someone else teach their class.  Then she made it a point to tell me how qualified all of these teachers are and they all have the same credentials.  Oh and the dad of the little boy in Sam's class (the only other child) LOVES Ellie.  Whatever.  Just as long as my kids don't get her again.

Fast forward  to yesterday -- Sam got a new teacher and assistant. Both were phenomenal.  Sam did triple the amount in yesterday's lesson than both the previous two combined.  And, she jumped out of the water saying, "I want to do that again and again and again!" Music to my ears. 

Ian got a different teacher and assistant too. Same ratio as before (teacher/assistant to kids) and he actually got hands-on help the whole entire time.  He even said his teacher told him he'll be swimming in the level 3 class in no time.  As you know before from earlier blog entries, this made Ian's day. 

From the moment both kids got in the water for their lesson, there was no down-time.  They were doing laps, floating on their back, jumping in, and actually getting a swim lesson. Imagine that.  I was so happy, that yes I was tearing up.  Score one for this mommy!

You know how I know this was the right thing to do?  Because I watched Ellie teach a different class during Sam's time slot.  It was a more advanced preschool class.  One of the mom's from that class looked at me in outrage when Ellie told the kids to put their heads underwater and never told them to close their mouth first.  Apparently her daughter swallowed a huge amount of pool water and wasn't happy.  And then the mom quickly listed everything this Ellie did wrong in her opinion.  Funny enough, it was my same exact list.  I told her I was sorry about the switch and that it happened because of me.  Hopefully this mom will speak up too.

You have to be your child's best advocate.  No one else is going to be.  I am very happy that all is right with the swim lessons.  Because of this experience and how it got the attention it needed, this Swim Club is about to receive a whole lot of business from the Toppall family.  I've booked Ian's birthday party there, going for the big enchilada party package.  Plus, Ian will be doing a few camps there over the summer.  And, lets not forget, the kids will continue taking swim lessons too.  Just as long as we don't get Ellie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment