Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

No car needed.

Sunday was too gorgeous of a day to be indoors.  It was sunny, 68 degrees and a little breeze in the air.  Finally, it felt like Fall was within our grasp.  Fall is my 2nd favorite season.  Why? Because it leads into Winter, which is my 1st favorite season.  I love sweater weather.  I love not breaking a sweat just walking from your front door to the car.  And I love the lack of humidity in the air.

I had cleaned the whole house, Ian was back from religious school and it was time to get outside.  I came up with the grand plan for me and the kids to bike to Sweet Frog (which is a little more than a mile from our house) and then have Jeff come pick us up and drive us home.  Jeff was more than a little skeptical that we would make it to Sweet Frog without a rescue mission mid-way.  He came up with the idea that we should start at Sweet Frog and then bike home.  It was more downhill this direction and we stood a better chance of succeeding.  I liked his idea, but was worried that if we already had the "treat" before the ride began, there would be no motivation to get back home.  Fortunately I was wrong and we did just fine.  Jeff was not needed to come get us.  Better than that, the kids did not complain once!  It took us almost an entire hour to go the distance of a little more than a mile, but we did it!

I was so excited and felt like we really accomplished something great.  That is until I logged on Facebook and saw the following in my news feed:


Josie's Frozen Yogurt- Fairfax, VA
We love to see families exercising together! We ran into this family who biked 15 miles to Josie's!


And right below this was a picture of this bike-riding-loving family.  I am pretty sure that it took them the same amount of time, it took us.  :)

Really?  Really?  Did I have to see this right after coming back from our most fabulous outing?

I can look beyond this "being-outdone-in-a-very-big-way" and focus on the good -- we got outdoors, we breathed in a lot of fresh air.  We were on the move for an hour.  We walked away from the electronics and no one whined or complained.  Take that family who biked 15 miles to get to Josie's and then has to bike 15 miles back home!  Ok, maybe I am a little jealous.  I told Jeff right before we left for Sweet Frog, I originally wanted us to go to Josie's, but felt the 2.5 miles distance might be a bit too much for this crew.  Maybe next time.

A girl on the go!








Stopping for a much needed water break.

A most delightful way to spend a few hours.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment