Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pinch me, I must be dreaming

I didn't want to run away.  I didn't hang my head in shame.  I was able to look at all my fellow passengers and the flight crew directly in the eye. I wasn't on the verge of tears or breaking down.  I was even relaxed, breathing normally.  And to my delight, Sam and I even worked on her letters while up in the air.  The journey to come back home was smooth sailing from the moment we left for the airport from my mom's house until we walked through our front door.
 
Never in my wildest dreams did I think this was actually possible.  I am still not convinced that it truly happened like it did.  Maybe I dreamt it?  Maybe I've gotten really good at blocking out the horrific stuff and managed to do it while it was happening?  Or maybe I finally came to my senses and became an alcoholic to deal with the kids?  
 
No to all of the above!  After 3 weeks away in Florida, the kids are home.  And I believe Sam has turned a corner on flying.  She was a dream to sit next to.  She was amazing.  Both kids made me so proud to be their mother.  No one on the flight had any idea on what so easily could've been.  It was my (and Ian's) little secret. 
 
Was it my friend Heather's brilliant idea to let the kids stock up on candy for the flight?  Was it because Sam got a good night of sleep the night before?  Maybe it was due to Sam being giddy with joy to get home and see Daddy?  Could it have been that she was excited to get the window seat?  Or, possibly because she is a year older since she flew last?  Who knows?  And frankly, who cares?  I am thrilled that something did the trick. 
 
Never before have I wanted to document us being on a plane before.  Evidence of it being amazing was most needed.  I want to look back at these 2 hours and remember fondly how wonderful it was.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment