Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

From 0 to 5k in 48 minutes.

The Pacer's in Pentagon Row (Arlington) hosts a very fun Valentine's day run called, "Love the Run you're with".  It's a 5k where pretty much anything goes...strollers, dogs, walkers, runners, people dressed in costumes, etc.  It's great course, where the killer hill is over and done with before you even know what hits you.

I've done the race a few times over the past years and love it.  It's hard to find a 5k that is offered in the dead of Winter.  Believe me, they are far and few between.  There is nothing more fun than putting on layers and bundling up for a run in temps that are in the low 30's.  It is so invigorating!  You can see your breath! 

I hadn't been part of an organized race since the marathon (11/20/11) and was finally missing that runner's high.  I registered for the "Love the Run you're with" and planned to make that my comeback.  A very, very slow comeback. One of my most favorite running quotes is:  "You don't have to go fast, you just have to go."

My only goal was that I didn't finish last.  I didn't finish last, not even second to last.  I came in 1,673 out of 1,721.  Woo-hoo!!!

And who did I run with, you may be asking yourself?  Me, Myself and I.  No one I had emailed wanted to do it this year with me.  No worries.  I was very happy to go out there on my own and run like the wind.  Or, more appropriately, walk like the wind.

I should mention my mom did offer to "run" this race with me.  She volunteered to be on the phone the whole time and provide encouragement and my own little cheering section.  I probably should've taken her up on her offer as the music I was listening to didn't motivate me to move any faster.  :)

While I don't see myself signing up for more races throughout the year, I will go back and do this one again and again.  Who knows, maybe my Valentine will one day join me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment