Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Call me crazy

Last weekend was birthday party central at Casa del Toppall.  We threw not one, but two birthday parties that spanned a total of 19 hours. Yowzer! 

Ian's party was the biggie.  6 boys (all in 2nd grade) descended upon the house starting at 4:30pm Friday and the last duo left at 10:20am Saturday morning.  Sam's party started at 1:00pm and we said good-bye to the last child around 3:30pm.  I discovered my first gray hair later that Saturday.  I really think all these events are closely linked together.  :)

It was manageable.  All the kids were very well behaved, but let me say, never again.  It was way too many boys.  At any given moment, one of them had some kind of issue.  The boys got along great and enjoyed all the activities we had planned, but it was exhausting being around these kids who cry at the drop of a hat.  I really think we are raising a society of cry babies and wimps (I am not excluding my kids in this statement).  But that is a rant for another time.  Don't get me wrong, I love all the boys one on one when they've had playdates with Ian, but together as a group was too much!

Sam was super cute during Ian's party and tried very hard to hang with the older kids.  When the boys were eating their pizzas they each made themselves, Sam had her own in front of her to eat too.  The conversation turned into potty humor (very typical of 8 year old boys) and Sam had her own offering, "Hey, everyone say 'Stinky Pinky Underwear'.  hehehehee.

The kids making their own pizzas.


Let the games begin!


The boys didn't mind Sam hanging around and she loved being included.  At one point, they asked her to join their soccer game to help even out the teams.

The boys went to sleep pretty easily (by 10:30pm) and were all awake by 6:00am. Not too bad.

By the time we got to Sam's party, the living was easy and it was a breeze.  We only had a small gathering of kids and having it at the house, actually worked out perfectly.  The weather was gorgeous and we were able to be outside the whole time.  I had a woman from Waddle Dawdle come and entertain the kids for a solid hour.  She did a great job and they had fun.


 
Having fun in our backyard
 

The piñata that wouldn't fall apart!  30 minutes later we had to manually rip it apart.

Every year I say this is it for birthday parties.  And every year around February, the kids start figuring out what kind of party they would like to have.   But this year I think I really mean it.  I'd much rather Ian pick 2 friends and Jeff takes them to a baseball game or something fun to do.  As for Sam, I am sure we will continue down the birthday party path for another couple of years.   I am making some progress.  I didn't hand out goody bags for either party.  Woo-hoo!  One small step for mankind, one giant leap for moms who dislike goody bags everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment