Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My thoughts exactly.

I've been saying for a while now that we are raising a society of wimps and cry babies.  I am not excluding my children in this statement.  This is just how I feel.  Watching Ian's friends interact, they look at each other and break into tears.  And these are good kids.  They are not bullies, not mean to each other, and not intentionally doing anything to hurt the other kids' feelings.  These kids are too sensitive.  I'm talking 2nd grade boys too!  It is crazy.  I just want to look at them and say, toughen up!  Although, that would get them crying even more. 

An article from Psychology Today came to my attention last week.  I couldn't believe what I was reading. This (very long) article spoke to me.  It is sad, but true.  Again, my kids aren't excluded in this.  I am the first one to stand up and say I am overprotective and too much of a helicopter mom.  But it is a scary world out there and I want to do what I can to make sure my kids are safe.  If it means being there 24/7 and letting them know I am a quick cell phone call away for help, then so be it.   And believe me, if you are going to mess with one of my kids, you are going to hear about it from me. 

It's true that we aren't letting the kids do things for themselves.  We aren't letting them get hurt and figure things out.  I am doing my best to make Ian more independent, but it's challenging for me everyday.  I don't want him to fail or come up short.  I want him to have the best day he can, every day. 

Anyway, here's the article in its entirety.  I think it is interesting to read what is happening to this next generation. 

A NATION OF WIMPS:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200411/nation-wimps

No comments:

Post a Comment