Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Annapolis!

A couple of weeks ago, the kids were down in Orlando hanging with the family.  Jeff was able to take a few days off from work and we headed to Annapolis.  Our 3 days together can best be summed up as "We had a map, but no plan!"

Jeff with his map.

Jeff and I are uber planners!  It is so not like us to go anywhere and not have every hour figured out.  We had in the back of our heads a few things we were interested in doing, but for the most part we winged everything!  I have to say, this new way of traveling was liberating. 

We stayed at The Westin.  What a beautiful hotel.  We parked the car on Monday morning and didn't get back into it until Wednesday afternoon.  Our preferred mode of transportation was WALKING!!  The weather was beautiful (high 82 degrees, no humidity) and the miles flew by.  There was a free shuttle offered by the city that did a loop starting at our hotel.  We did take that once on Monday and another time on Tuesday.  But for the most part, we walked upwards of 6 miles going back and forth each day. How wonderful!

Monday night, we had dinner at The Chart House.
We managed to score a table up front and could watch the boats
and sunset. 


Did the Naval Academy Tour. 
We saw the famous "lunch formation" drill with the Plebes.
 
Our tour was supposed to be an hour, 15 minutes long.  Oh lucky us!  We got a retired Naval Doctor who gave us our tour.  He LOVED to talk.  After close to 2 hours, I started walking in front of him as we made our way to the next building.  Jeff said to me, "Robyn, you can't walk in front of the tour guide!  You don't know where we are going."  I replied, "I'm trying to move things along.  This tour is getting ridiculously long.  I feel like the Freshmen class is going to graduate before we are done with this tour!".
Sunset cruise in Annapolis on Tuesday night.
After dinner one evening.

How beautiful!

 

I love traveling with Jeff.  We do well together and have a lot of fun. Our 3 days together were delightful.


Some fun things along the way:

These "works of art" / Birds were scattered around the city everywhere.  I took a picture of a few of my favorite.  Each one had a different theme.





YUM-O!
I can't finish this blog without a few words about the food. 

I found this place, "Miss Shirley's Café" completely by random the night before we left.  They offer an unbelievable gluten-free menu.  Needless to say, I enjoyed the food so much, we went there for either breakfast or lunch 3 times over our 3 day visit.   The restaurant was right around the corner from our hotel.  Maybe that's why I loved staying at The Westin so much.  :)



AH-MAZING!  Gluten-free Cinnamon Danish Pancakes. 

About 8 years ago, I read about this place called "Potato Valley Café". All they do are baked potatoes!   It was located in Annapolis and I knew someday I might even get to go there.  The time had come!   



My potato "Before"

My potato "After"  
 
Funny sign seen in a bar window:



My new motto (picture taken at the Navel Academy):

Love this!

No comments:

Post a Comment