Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Zen place.

I've always enjoyed walking.  But since the beginning of May, I've now been doing it with such consistency that I can honestly say it has become my thing.  I average about 5 miles a day.   I find it to be a great, natural stress reliever.  I wake up each morning and figure out when I will be able to fit a walk in at some point that day.  It's the thing I find myself looking forward to more and more.  It's my "me" time.  I crank up the music on my iPod and take off.  One of my favorite locations to walk near my house is around this lake.  It is very peaceful. 

I have no desire to run anymore.  I just am enjoying walking, taking in the scenery and letting my mind wander where it wants.  I don't hear whining or the crazy demands of my 5 year old.  I can just be.  I can actually walk for miles and miles and miles if the conditions are right (a light breeze, not too hot, low humidity, plenty of water, a fully charged iPod, etc). 

One of the best things about walking is that you can do it anywhere!  On my girl's weekend, I did 5 miles each morning and on Saturday, we did an additional 3.5 miles in the evening.  When I went to Orlando, I successfully started each day with a 4.5 mile walk (with the exception of Wednesday, when it rained most of the day).  And in my trip to Annapolis with Jeff, I averaged between 7 and 12 miles daily.  We parked the car at the hotel on Monday morning and didn't get back into it until Wednesday afternoon.  How wonderful to use our two legs to get around town. 

I love going for a walk, just because.  Not because I am in training for anything or because I don't have another type of transportation.  But simply, just because.  It can turn my day completely around.

Some of the cooler things spotted during my walks:

These little guys were cute.
 

When I started my walk one morning at my mom's, I counted 11 hot air balloon launching.
So pretty!

Watching the sunrise over the water in Annapolis.  How beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment