Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

My mom's green thumb!

My mom has been trying for years to grow something...anything.  She usually comes to my house in May, gets some seeds and plants them with the kids.  It's always been a bust.  I get more frustrated from her trying over and over again.  In fact, I've started getting snippy every time she brings it up that her and the kids will be planting more stuff in our backyard.  Because after she leaves to return home in Florida, it is up to ME (!!) to keep an eye on things and make sure it is getting properly watered and cared for.  Not to mention I have to make sure Jeff doesn't mow over it.
 
This Summer, my mom took her gardening skills to her own backyard and planted watermelon seeds.  Guess what?  It worked.  My mom actually grew watermelons.  When the kids and I were there in July, we picked one out of the ground from her little watermelon patch and brought it indoors. 
 
I do have to admit this was very exciting!
 
This watermelon appears to be huge!  But just wait....the size is deceiving.
 
 

When you compare the watermelon to the size of a bottle of sunscreen, you can see just how small it really is.  It was adorable!



When we cut it open, it was perfect!  And it tasted delicious!!


Way to go Mom!  I am very proud of you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment