Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Homework absurdity

Sam walks around daily saying, "Boy, am I glad I'm not in 4th grade."  Isn't that the truth?  I have to agree with her.  I try very hard not to project my feelings and let Ian know how bad he has it, but believe me, 4th grade isn't what it used to be. 

Ian had the following math problem on his homework worksheet.  This came home during the first month of school this year:

x -5 + x -8+ x+ x + 3+ 12+ 10+ x+ x = 72

Find the value for X.

I kid you not.  He had an entire page of problems like this.  This is ALGEBRA!!  OMG! 

So in addition to a math worksheet each night, he also has 20 minutes of reading and a reading response question to do each day.  Weekly, Ian has a research question for him to look up on the Internet, usually having to do with science or social studies, a R-U-H-O-S-S problem (which is a math word problem), and a sheet of cursive letters/words for him to practice writing out.  In addition, Ian has a weekly word study test (15 words) that he needs to practice spelling and be able to write out the words in cursive.  Oh, and I can't forget his 20 minutes each night practicing the violin and another 15 minutes nightly required practicing the recorder. 

If that isn't enough, Ian is also expected to do 15 minutes of Hebrew each night.  I find the amount of homework Ian has to be overwhelming.  We haven't even gotten into projects or papers he will be given throughout the year.

I feel bad for kids today.  There is too much 'work' and not enough time to be a kid.  Even the activities we have our kids signed up for take it a whole new level of crazy.  Why can't they do a sport just to have fun and enjoy the game?  Noooo, it's all about getting private coaching lessons,  getting on the travel team and making it to the playoffs.  I'm talking about 8 and 9 year olds!  I know a first grader who has two practices for soccer each week, plus a game on the weekend.  This is in addition to being in Brownies and getting tutored so she doesn't fall behind.   Stick a fork in me, because I am done.  I refuse to get caught up in this craziness. 

I can't even imagine Ian doing team on gymnastics and practicing 9 hours a week, plus competitions on weekends.  I love our family having dinner together each night too much to give that up.

This Fall Ian is doing Flag Football and has religious school twice a week.  Sam is doing gymnastics (1 hour a week), religious school once a week, and her therapy appt.  I believe we are at the max for what we can handle and still keep on top of the homework situation.

I can't imagine how much more homework Ian will get in middle school and high school if this is what he has now in 4th grade.  Yowzer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment