Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Observing a national holiday.

I read somewhere that October 15th was National Eat Ice Cream For Dinner Day.  When I told Jeff this and my crazy idea to let the kids have only ice cream for dinner, he was quick to jump onboard.  We did discuss adding French fries to accompany the ice cream.  Why not go all out and really have some fun with dinner?  Believe me, I put a well-rounded, pretty healthy dinner on the table almost every night for the family.  Having only ice cream and French fries for dinner is very much out of our norm.  But with all Sam has been through with her doctors appointments and Ian's overwhelming amount of homework, I figured we could use a little fun.
   
The day before I went back online and looked for more information on this awesome sounding holiday.  However, it turns out that October 15th is really National Chicken Cacciatore Day.  WHAT?!?!?  Who knew that Chicken Cacciatore even needed their own day.  After some more digging, I finally found where I read that it was Eat Ice Cream For Dinner Day. It turns out that 10 years ago a woman decided to honor her deceased father by starting a movement to make every October 15th, eat ice cream for dinner day. Apparently her dad would've really liked this.  I think this is great and I was still all for it. When I told Jeff how it came about, he said, "So this woman made it up?"  Um, aren't all these crazy sounding days made up?  I mean, really, chicken cacciatore day is not made up?

We kept our dinner plans a surprise.  When Jeff got home from work, we sat both kids down and told them what we were doing.  Their eyes could not have been bigger. I think Sam's mouth even dropped open.  It was pretty neat.  They both thought we were kidding.  It was awesome.  The look on their faces was priceless.

It all went down at Friendly's.  We told the waitress we only wanted plates of French fries and lots of ice cream.  However, one by one we each ordered something else to go with our "main entrees".   Sam ordered a bowl of chicken noodle soup.  Ian ordered the kid's mozzarella sticks dinner.  Jeff got salad and soup. And I got a salad. And there was plenty of French fries and ice cream to go around.

I guess no one in the family could handle only having French fries and ice cream for dinner.  How funny.  Sam was the last holdout and then finally decided she wanted something else too.  I am sure the waitress thought we were bonkers as every time she stopped to check in on us, we ordered yet something else to eat. 

Normally our Friendly's has the worst service ever!  But we got lucky and the service was quick and efficient.  We were actually out of there within an hour.  Good thing too with how much we were making our waitress work. 

What was left of the kids' Caramel Fudge Brownie Sundae.


No comments:

Post a Comment