Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My love affair with Johns Hopkins

It is a 1 hour, 15 minute drive from our house to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.  I would drive 3 times that amount based on our recent experiences.  Within the past few weeks we've gone up and back to meet with their Pediatric Urology doctor, their Pediatric Gastroenterology doctor, had an x-ray taken, blood taken, and an MRI (complete with anesthesia). 

I can not say enough good things about how we were treated, how amazing their doctors and staff are, and their incredible responsiveness.  You can EASILY get a live person on the phone!  All the departments are integrated enough to keep you moving in the process seamlessly. 

We are so fortunate to have one of THE top medical facilities in our backyard. I realize that our medical issues are nothing compared to what other kids are going thru.  I sleep easier at night knowing that these families are having the best of the best help them.  Johns Hopkins is truly phenomenal.

One of the most wonderful aspects is that you don't feel like you are one of a gazillion patients they see in a day.  With something as scary as scheduling your daughter's MRI, I had multiple people call me in the days leading up to the procedure and walk me thru it.  And when the big day came, I was well looked after while Sam went under.  The whole thing ran so smoothly that I felt like we were waiting for Sam to wake-up within the hour of us first walking in.  When I asked the nurse who was hanging by Sam's side how many kids they see in a day, she said the area we were in was only for kids waking up from anesthesia; whether it was surgery, an MRI, whatever.  This area was ONLY for kids waking up.  On any given day, they could see up to 70 kids pass through.  Yowzer!!  You'd think we were the only ones there with how much attention Sam and I were given.  We had a whole team of people meet with us right after check-in.  The anesthesiologist was so calming and had so many tricks up his sleeve that Sam was out cold before she even knew what happened.  Upon waking up, Sam had a smile on her face and asked what just happened.  I had been forewarned that Sam will probably wake-up angry and emotional.  Because she was calm going under, it carried over to how her temperament was waking up from the anesthesia. 

It's hard to not be in awe of Johns Hopkins use of technology either.  From their individual green light/red light above each parking space to let you know at a faraway glance that it is available, to the automated check-in at the kiosks, to a coded number system on the monitor to let you know where your daughter is in the MRI process, it is high-tech all the way.  And with access to "My Chart", I can quickly see all of Sam's test results and easily communicate with her doctors.  I LOVE THIS!!

All of these appointments were for Samantha.  I have to say she was a rockstar.  You never know which side of Sam you are going to get.  I've gotten really good at holding my breath just waiting for the 'other shoe to drop' and I was pleasantly surprised we both survived the many doctors appointments, radiology department, blood being drawn and the long car rides up and back to Baltimore.

It appears that (so far!) everything has come back looking good.  Sam may never be rid of her constipation issues and will most likely be on Miralax for many, many years to come.  But as for something medically wrong with her?  We can officially check-off everything that could be causing this physically.   It's just the way it is.  Fortunately I think we've got a good handle on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment