Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

My kind of reading

My love of reading started with Judy Blume, when my mom gave me as a little girl a boxed set of her books.  It opened a new world to me and I've been a voracious reader ever since.  It dawned on me that while I've been counting down the years to introduce Sam to Judy Blume, there is no reason I can't share it with Ian too.  Don't worry, I am not going to traumatize him with "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret".  But Judy Blume has so many other wonderful books that I think he would like. 

Since I read all her books in the late 70's/early 80's, she has turned the Fudge books into an official series.  The first one is "Tales of a fourth grade nothing."  I downloaded this on Ian's iPad kindle app and told him it was there waiting for him.  He started it right away and read it within 5 days.  He told me he liked it very much and was ready for the next book, "Otherwise known as Sheila the great".  Again, back in the day, this was just another book, now there is an order to reading them. 

It makes my heart swell that Ian is enjoying these books.  There is something about Judy Blume that is magical and for Ian to recognize this too, makes me a proud mama.  Judy Blume gets adolescence.  She gets it.  It's that simple.

So here is the really, really cool ending to this story.  Ian's teacher reads to the class at the end of every day.  They just finished one book and then started another the next day.  The next book she picked to read to the class?  "Tales of a fourth grade nothing."  No way!  Way!  Ian had just finished reading it the day before.  How's that for timing!?!?  I could not believe it when he came home and told me.   I've never felt more hip with the 4th grade mentality until that moment.

There is nothing greater than introducing a new generation to one of my most favorite authors.  And Sam's personal signed copy of "Are you there God?  It's me, Margaret" is on her bookshelves waiting for her to discover in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment