Pages

Monday, February 23, 2015

Burr!

Call me crazy, but I love this cold weather we've been getting.  Absolutely love it!  It's invigorating.

When the temps are only cold (and not windy too), I've been going for walks.  I have this fun Friday ritual where I pick up a salad from Café Rio and bring it home for lunch.  I am actually walking to Café Rio and back on these Fridays.  It's 3.7 miles roundtrip from my door to theirs.  It does feel a bit weird driving right by the restaurant to go home, park the car and then walk to where I just was.  But I'm all about the journey.  I love taking this time to enjoy the fresh air, think, and be grateful that I am able to do this -- both flexibility in schedule and a body that can carry me where I want to go.  It's my hour of being in the moment and enjoying living in a town that has a wonderful walking/bike trail near Burke Centre Parkway. 

On Saturday, February 14th, I thought it would be a fun treat for the kids to get donuts for breakfast.  A special Valentine's day treat.  Dunkin Donuts recently opened and it is also within walking distance of our house - only 1.3 miles away.  The high temp was 23 degrees and I was eager to start the day with a brisk walk in some delightful weather. I told Jeff to give me 20 minutes and then he and the kids could get in the car to join me.  The timing was almost perfect and I only had to wait 2 minutes for them to arrive.   After the kids ate their breakfast, I was putting on my hat, scarf and gloves to get ready to hit the road back home.  Imagine my surprise when not one, but both kids said they wanted to walk with me.  Wowee!!!  This is like a dream come true.

Jeff took my car to get gas and stopped when he saw us on the walk back.  He slowed the car down to see if either of the kids wanted to jump ship and drive the rest of the way back.  Neither child wanted to cut their walk short.  Yes!!  They are starting to take after me.  I love it!!   We put the music on thru my phone and had a dance party while walking back.  It was great fun!

I love Winter.  I love wearing sweaters.  I love when its cold enough that you can see your breath.  I love having fires in the fireplace.  I love the idea that we can have a snowstorm and the city will shut down.  I am not a huge fan of the kids missing as much school as they have been, but I do love a good snow day now and then.  I love taking the kids sledding.  I love 'bonus' days off from work.  I love Winter and all it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment