Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Reading spectacular

About 2 weeks ago Ian said he was bored.  I told him to go read a book. After commenting there was nothing new he wanted to read, I suggested "The Hunger Games".  I downloaded the first book to his Kindle app and away he went to give it a go.

Ian devoured the first book (all 387 pages) and read it in record time.  The 2nd book (403 pages!) went even quicker.  Ian is now nearing the end of the 3rd book (404 pages) and is loving it.  I knew he would enjoy the books, but I am most impressed with how fast he is reading them.   His comprehension of what he read is impressive. We've had some interesting discussions as to why he thinks President Snow does what he does and how smart Katniss is in how she plays the game.

The books are designed for ages 12 and up, 7th grade and higher.  I was a bit hesitant to suggest them to Ian given the content, but I believe Ian can handle it.  I feel better in knowing there are a few kids in his class who had already read the books.

When I read these books 4 years ago, it didn't occur to me back then I would have a child who would want to read them.  Boy, was  I wrong!  Over the years, Ian has turned into an avid reader.  I love that he wants nothing more than to spend a few hours reading a good book.  While Jeff and I have never put a limit on how much time the kids spend playing on their iPads, video games or watching tv, it's nice to know that Ian chooses reading a good book first and foremost. 

Next up:  Watching the movies with Ian these books were based on.  The best of both worlds! 

No comments:

Post a Comment