Pages

Monday, May 23, 2016

Eight is great! That's Samantha!

Sam started something new this year.  She writes song lyrics.  She has different melodies she will put with it, but the wording is brilliant.  Pure poetry.  It's a great outlet for her to express herself.  A few years ago, I had major concerns that Sam couldn't rhyme.  I'd say, give me a rhyme for the word "dog" and she'd say, "cat".  Yes, it was that bad.  Most of her lyrics have these amazing rhymes.  It is truly magical to see how far she has come.  One of my most favorite lines she has written is: "If I'm not a star, your blind."  Wow!  I am guessing self-esteem is not an issue for her.



Socially speaking Sam has come so far and I believe she is where she should be developmentally.  I could not be more pleased with her progress this past year.  In fact, one thing that has completely surprised us is her desire to want to do 12 nights at sleepaway camp this August.  Part of me thinks this is part of her ploy to be done with us as parents.  I think she loves the idea of being on her own and this is the first step in making that dream a reality.

Sam has continued with gymnastics throughout this year and recently made it to a new level.  I am so proud of her determination.  It was an exciting moment when she gave me the paper saying she had moved up.   Samantha recently also started taking an art class for drawing and watercolor painting.  I'm happy to report that in both situations, she is ok not knowing anyone in the class when I signed her up.  That's how far Sam's come in being comfortable around kids her age she doesn't know.

Every day after school this year when we didn't have to rush off to the next activity, Sam ran to the playground to play.  This is a HUGE step from last year when she didn't want to be seen at all outside of school.  She'll now say hi to her fellow classmates and interact.  

I sometimes forget how young Sam is.  She is quick to question something when she thinks it is not fair, she is quick to help out in cleaning the house, and she is quick to put Ian in his place if he does something she didn't like.  Samantha's personality is still feisty and spirited with a side of demanding.  The temper tantrums have lessened this year, but they are very much still there. Quite evident when it comes to Sam getting dressed in the morning.  Oy!  I fear for the teen years.

First day of 2nd grade!

Samantha loves to listen to music (Radio Disney on Sirius XM is her thing) and sing along. However, she is the only one allowed to sing. Heaven forbid Ian starts to sing too. 

I look at Sam from time to time and am blown away by how beautiful she is.  Maybe I am biased?  I don't know.  Sam definitely marches to the beat of her own drum.  You can tell she has all these ideas and is just getting ready to take over.  We have these days where she is amazing and caring and so completely wonderful.  She'll be helpful and want to hug/cuddle and be around us.  Then there are days where she is perfectly content spending time in her room alone for hours on end.  This past year, I've come to accept her need for downtime. 







Happy birthday to my spunky, spirited, sweet Samantha.  We wish for you a very happy birthday and a magical 8th year filled with exciting days, inspiring thoughts and many reasons to smile.   May all your wishes come true without driving your mom and dad too crazy.  We love you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment