Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

a.k.a. Bailey's Mom

Bailey, my German Shepherd, was born on April 29, 2001. I brought him home 7 weeks later, weighing in at just 6 pounds. Over the next several months he grew into the big boy he is today and now proudly tips the scales at 95 pounds. To anyone who doesn't know him, Bailey is a bit intimidating looking and not something you would want to encounter in a dark alley. However, to the guests at the party last night, he is a big cream puff. Bailey I've come to realize has a very big fan base and it seemed that all the major players were in the same room as me.

One of "the girls" recently got engaged and the other girls & I co-hosted an engagement party for family and friends. It was a fabulous evening and everything turned out beautifully. There was a small group of guests who I hadn't met yet but they were all too familiar with Bailey. It was really weird being introduced, "This is Bailey's mom." Or, "I heard you are Bailey's Mom."

Over the past 8 years, Bailey has made his way into some of my friend's homes and even a friend's boyfriend's (now fiance) brother's home. In the case of the latter, Mike lives in a fabulous house (complete with huge pool in the backyard) and graciously opens his doors for Bailey to come and stay for a few days while we are away on trips. For the first time last night, I got to officially meet Mike's parents, who also live in this house where Bailey goes to stay. Bailey has quite a life away from us. Mike makes YouTube videos, set to music, and features Bailey swimming and playing catch. It is very sweet.

Also in attendance last night was the friend whose house was recently broken in to and she no longer felt safe living by herself. She borrowed Bailey for a week to help her sleep at night again and to be seen in the neighborhood with a scary-looking new companion. Sabrina had Bailey come visit once before when he was just a little puppy when I went out of town overnight. Now that Bailey was full grown, it was time for him to go to work. Bailey rose to the occasion and proved to be an invaluable help to Sabrina. She said if it weren't for her two bunnies she has as pets, she probably wouldn't be giving him back. They went for super long walks every day and he would lay at her feet if she was working from home. Sabrina brought a friend to the party last night who had met Bailey while he was at her house. He too, thought Bailey was amazing.

Before you know it, we had quite a conversation going about the 'fabulousness' of my dog. I do believe that Bailey really prefers living with a single person who has no entanglements (like kids or a spouse) to get in the way. For his first few formative years of his life, it was just the two of us. Bailey would sleep in my bed with me and even though he had his own pillow, most nights would find us sharing one together. I am sure we were quite a sight.

Now Bailey's life consists of two toddlers who test his patience, play with his food and cook up new ways to bug him. He no longer sleeps in my bed and is banished from being on the furniture altogether. I am sure he pines for the days of his youth when it was just the two of us.

For a brief period last night I got to remember just how cool my dog is and what he means to everyone. How much joy, fun and comfort he brings into the lives of those around him. I was "Bailey's Mom" and that was a pretty good person to be.

I think I will take him for a long walk this morning. Of course, his sister Samantha will be in the stroller next to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment