Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Big Boy Bed Surprise Caper

According to me, everything went exactly as planned. But if you ask Jeff his opinion, the plan should've never been executed. We have a big difference of opinion on when the switch from Ian's toddler bed to a full size bed should've gone down. Once the bedding arrived, I felt there was no reason to wait a second longer than necessary. Jeff, however, was happy to wait until we got back from our trip and then only schedule it on our calendar when we basically had nothing else going on. Ha! Like that was ever going to happen.

I saw an opportunity and I took it. The plan went as follows: One of my best girlfriends enjoys seeing the kids and was happy to come to the house after work one day and take Ian to dinner. While Ian was out of the house, Jeff & I would jump into action and go to work. All we had to do was disassemble the toddler bed, rearrange the furniture in his room, and vacuum the floor. Once that was done, then we go to the shed, get the bed frame, carry in the box spring and mattress and set-up the new bed. The whole time we are in execution mode, Jeff is in a seriously bad mood and keeps chewing me out for my lousy timing. I guess he felt there were other things we could better do with our time the night before we left for my sister's wedding. Eating dinner, packing, and taking the dog to a friend's house was at the top of his list. Plus, I don't think Jeff fully appreciated the time crunch to get everything done before Ian returned from dinner. His idea was that Ian go to a friend's house for a playdate (several hours long) on a free Saturday or Sunday and we leisurely make the switch. Has he seen our calendar!?!?! This switch wouldn't occur until the month of January when we don't have a new calendar yet to fill up.

Thanks to our awesome teamwork we got the job done in time and anxiously awaited Ian's return. I stood in the corner of his room with my video camera and digital camera ready to go to work. Ian and Wendy walked through the front door and Jeff told Ian to go straight upstairs to get his bath. As Ian enters his bedroom to take off his clothes, his eyes got bigger than saucers and he instantly went speechless. His mouth fell open and nothing came out. Ian being speechless in itself is no small feat. He was blown away by what he saw and couldn't believe his eyes. He ran to his new bed, jumped up on it and yelled, "This is better than I could have ever expected." Then Ian started kissing the new "CARS" comforter and pillows.

It was a really cool surprise and I, for one, is happy that we didn't wait any longer than we needed to. When you have something that you know your child is going to absolutely adore, you want them to experience it as soon as possible.

And, as an added bonus, Wendy took Bailey home to our friend's house for his stay while we went out of town. That alone, gave me more than an hour of my time back. Yes, so I could pack and eat dinner and hear more from my husband about what a terrible idea it was do this tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment