Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hanging in there...barely

This trip for me has been challenging.  Enjoying where we are or what we are doing, all depends on how Sam is acting.  She has been extremely temperamental and quick to explode.  My patience is constantly being tested. There are some occasional very sweet moments, but those have been too far and few between.  I guess I should consider myself very lucky that our visit to the Magic Kingdom went so well.

It is very hard to be around Sam 24/7 and have no break.  I didn't realize how much I rely on Jeff when he comes home from work and on the weekends.  Kudos to all the single moms out there raising very spirited, head-strong, explosive children.

I feel this self-imposed pressure to find activities to keep the kids entertained, aren't too expensive and is close to Lori's house.  Not an easy task and usually I am only successful in acheiving 2 out of 3.  Some stuff we've been doing are hits, while the other are misses.  I found this awesome glow-in-the-dark miniature putt-putt deal on Groupon a few months pack.  We decided to go on Wednesday and have an 'easy' day after our marathon session at the Magic Kingdom the day prior.   However, holes 7 to 10 found Sam throwing a world class temper tantrum and it soured the experience for me and a bit for the kids.  The concept was cool but I don't think it was worth the full price they were charging.  Definitely on the cheesy side.

On Thursday, our original plans didn't work out quite like we wanted and we came up with a back-up plan that surprised and delighted us all.  We found a very cool splash pad, complete with playground and picnic pavilion.  We were able to enjoy a few hours playing and was very thankful for the shaded, well-designed park.  They hit a home run with this place and it made me wistful for this kind of layout back in NoVa.
 


A really cool (literally and figuratively) playground.  Well done FL!

On Friday, my friend Molly invited us to hang out at her house for dinner and a pool playdate. Sam was at her all-time best being a lunatic and gave them a great performance.  This was actually her 2nd one that day.  Her fit lasted a good hour and a half and all of it done without wearing any bathing suit bottoms.  Oh fun!  Fortunately, I've known Molly for more than 29 years and there is not much that can throw her or her family.  For the most part, we tuned Sam out and kept the good times rolling. 

Saturday, we met my dad, stepmother, and sister for brunch.  It was nice to spend time with the family.  Afterwards, we went to Monkey Joes to let the kids jump on inflatables to their hearts content.  Being Saturday and rainy, Monkey Joes could've been renamed Monkey Zoo and it would've been appropriate.  After about 2 hours, we were done and needed a break from worrying we would lose a kid, they'd get hurt, or potentially both.

A fun moment...Seeing Nana makes everything better.
 
Even being in an environment where it is ok for Sam to go off and make lots of noise, it is still very stressful. Being in a group of 7 (Jen, me and the 5 kids) makes me feel bad for all the others.  Whether we are trying to leave to go somewhere, enjoy where we are, or leave the place we are at to head home, I fear the next time Sam acts out and how much it will delay us or stress me out.  It's not only me and Ian her behavior is affecting, we are now involving others.

With our group size, one of the best things about this trip is staying at my sister's house.  There is plenty of space and the pool in the backyard is a nice touch for the kids to use in the downtime.   Also her washer and dryer rocks.  I am in love with them and joke that I can probably fit either the washer or the dryer in Jen's minivan and take it back home.


Ben's birthday present we got him (the floating tennis table set)
came in very handy for the kids to play with.



Stay tuned for more of Robyn's crazy Florida adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment